Snowy Night Out in Hampshire

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
With the forecast predicting the coldest night of the year so far, I decided to hit the woods. My little patch is in NE Hampshire, about 4 acres of mixed woodland with a clearing where I can stash some split logs and keep a fixed fire site. Unfortunately I don't have permission to share it with anyone else, so it's a solo paradise...

Parked up and ready to go.
web.jpg

On the way in.
web.jpg

Shaking down the trees before they dumped everything on me.
web.jpg

Clark Hammock ready to go
web.jpg

Tarp to sit under and the fire's lit!
web.jpg

Keeping warm in the dark
web.jpg

Dawn breaks...
web.jpg

I don't know how cold it got - at least 6 below - but I was warm and toasty all night. My setup is a Clark NX-250 with a full-length Thermarest, Snugpak underquilt and Snugpak Elite 5 bag used as a quilt. There was a lot of condensation inside the hammock, but it didn't drip on me because it had frozen solid :eek: I hit the sack at 9pm, read for a couple of hours, and woke up at 8:30 this morning. Lovely.

Looking forward to the next chance to get out there!

Thanks for looking,

Tobes

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff Tobes

Glad you stayed toasty.

Where was the condensation in the hammock ? Was it on the underside of the mossie net the Clarks have ?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Yes, the condensation was on the mossy net. The stuff at the top was liquid, but had turned to ice as it ran down the inside of the hammock. I tried venting it by opening the top, but that simply made it all freeze solid :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
That looks brilliant. I'm using my hammock next weekend. It's forecast cold, so I'm taking my coccoon and my quilt. Big Swede persuaded me (it didn't take much mind) to buy some ex Swedish army skis and boots, so we'll be approaching over frozen lakes. I went for a walk in the area today, and it looks fantastic.

Cheers, Michael.

Rich^uk

Feb 4, 2010
England
Hello everyone, Treat me gently this is my first post.

Looks like the woods I go camping in, (Same area too Ne Hampshire is beautiful) I usually go to a lovely spot near Selbourne.

Oh and sorry for dredging this post up, The photos made me happy. I miss my hammock, tarp and snow.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Great post, i love the way the woods look when everything is covered in snow. Seems to make the camp feel that much cosier :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE