Snowshoeing trip Scandinavia

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Hi everybody,

I need some advice about snowshoeing in Scandinavia. Especially about when and where.

Me and a couple of friends tried snowshoeing for the first time last year. We went to France for a 4 day trip, camped out in a tent and had a blast. This year we want to go to scandinavia, and also go a couple of days more. Maybe 5 or 6 days of real snowshoeing.

However.. we are new to this. We are all very experienced hikers in the mountains in summer ( Canada / Scandinavia ). But we are beginners when it comes down to winter skills.

So what I am wondering:
does anybody have some advice for area's where it is fun to go snowshoeing in Sweden or Norway?
Also, what is the best time for snowshoeing? We would love to camp out, bring a tipi and a stove. But when is the best time for that kind of activity?
And if that's not advisable, are cabins an option and are they free? or some of them?

A lot of questions I hope you guys can answer. Thanks in advance!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Also, what is the best time for snowshoeing? We would love to camp out, bring a tipi and a stove. But when is the best time for that kind of activity?

I personally think for number of reasons the best time for snowshoeing (or skiing) is March, April or even May depending the latitude and altitude you are in. First of all, it is not too cold for beginners, secondly the skies are usually clear and you may navigate freely using landmarks. Thirdly, most local people have spent holidays during January and/or February and there is not a great rush even in the vicinity of larger resorts.

And if that's not advisable, are cabins an option and are they free? or some of them?

Generally speaking day cabins in the wilderness of most of Fennoscandia are free of charge, but you may have to pay some money if you want to reserve a cabin for yourselves for several days. The rent for cabins owned by the state or the municipality are usually cheaper than for those owned by individuals.

The state owned cabins in Finland can be rented through Wild Nordic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE