snowshoe hike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Well today was the first day in a while that I could take the camera out for more than 10 minutes without it freezing up, so
I decided to head out into the bush for a walk. We have a fair bit of snow down...my shoes are full-size Hurons and they were
sinking a good few inches with each step

cabinfeb11011.jpg

I followed some deer tracks which intersected with a bunch of
wolf tracks...amazing even in deep snow how far a deer can
cover in a single leap. Also found fresh sign and a spot where
several deer had bedded down ...

cabinfeb11013.jpg

cabinfeb11014.jpg

I had planned to head over a couple ridges to a portage trail,
then follow the portage back south toward home. Well I went
west about a mile and a half, then realized the snow depth and
my advanced years were making my route look too ambitious,
so I cleared a seat on a log and sat down for a smoke, then
backtracked over toward home.

cabinfeb11017.jpg

cabinfeb11022.jpg

Never saw too much wildlife today, but just the sunshine and the serenity of the bush was reward enough.

Jack.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Jack. I am coming to the Lake Huron area in September to visit my sister. Looks as if I am in for a treat.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
She lives near Stony & Kettle Point and I do hope to get out for some wilderness walking or a canoe trip.

Way down there near Sarnia, eh. Well you might have to drive north a bit to get a canoe trip in, but I would suggest Massassauga or French River, OR if you want the trip
of a lifetime, Killarney Park. We go there every summer...I should post pics on a new thread rather than wander too far on this one...

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Good post. I've always wanted to try snowshoes, but the only places that I've been with any appreciable snow haven't had that tradition, so I've had to rely on my almost non-existant skiing skills.
When does spring usually arrive to your area?

Cheers, Michael.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
April is generally the transition month around here when you might say spring arrives; when the ice breaks up off the rivers and lakes and some birds
start to return and the bears come out and about, etc. I try to enjoy all seasons in the bush; one thing about winter, though, is you can walk in a straight
line, going over the water instead of around it. When you look at a topo map you see that at least half the area is covered in lakes and ponds.
Another good thing about winter is less chance of getting lost...just follow your tracks back home. There's some big areas of bush here between roads or other
landmarks; amazing how the beaver ponds all look so similar. Even back when I was on the trapline every day, I had to have a compass with me
because it's so easy to get turned around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE