Snowfield archery

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I saw you let one go Josh that you weren't happy about, I noticed the noise was different too. What happened there and does it affect the flight ?
I've got a load of arrows that are all the same but made in different batches over time. The last half dozen ended up in the pile before I filed the nocks out and that was one of them.
With the nock being too tight it grips onto the string as it's leaving causing the twang you heard. They never group with the ones that are the right fit either.

Thanks for the reminder, must dig them out and fix them.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
There is also Palaceriggbowmen in Cumbernauld. They meet on a Sat morning but I have never managed as it clashes with my daughters swimming lessons.

Thanks for that John but its a wee bit on the far side to be going regularly. Its about 65 miles each way.

All the best mate..........Ian

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a load of arrows that are all the same but made in different batches over time. The last half dozen ended up in the pile before I filed the nocks out and that was one of them.
With the nock being too tight it grips onto the string as it's leaving causing the twang you heard. They never group with the ones that are the right fit either.

Thanks for the reminder, must dig them out and fix them.

Oh so it's the hardware at fault, not the user.

I thought it might have been something to do with not releasing it cleanly.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
How dare you!:mad:

:p
Naw you're right enough. Just looked at it again and it does look like a fluffed release.

Fluffed releases, tensed arm, gripping too hard, arm dropping too soon, not hitting anchor, forgetting to aim.....
They're all in there. ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How dare you!:mad:

:p
Naw you're right enough. Just looked at it again and it does look like a fluffed release.

Fluffed releases, tensed arm, gripping too hard, arm dropping too soon, not hitting anchor, forgetting to aim.....
They're all in there. ;)

Lol

Only jesting mate, wouldn't have the first clue how to use a bow properly. My only experience was on a PGL holiday when I was about 12.
You'll have to give me a go one day.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Only jesting mate....
I wasn't(well, not about all the faults :) ).
It's a great practice aid - being able to video yourself. You can't kid yourself on and it shows up mistakes that you don't notice during the round itself.

Sure, I'll pack a bow next time we're out.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Maybe you could give us all some pointers. set up some tutorial videos. I've only really used blunts and its really hard to judge consistancy when the arrows bounce off the target.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Nice bow. I'm getting the itch now. Anyone know a place in the Glasgow area that does bow repairs? I need to get my old compound checked out.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
You could give Eastcote Archery a try. Not exactly nearby but they're the closest I've ever heard of that sells anything but kids bows.
It's hopeless round here to be honest. Everyone I know does their own maintenance. You'd be hard pushed to even buy a decent string in Glasgow.

Maybe you could give us all some pointers. set up some tutorial videos. I've only really used blunts and its really hard to judge consistancy when the arrows bounce off the target.

Not outgoing enough for that I don't think and anyway, there are proper coaches on the forum here. I wouldn't presume to know enough about the subject.
Catch me in a field sometime and I'll happily give you any pointers I can. :)

Now this guy, he's well worth tuning in to. ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
An archery-focussed meet, perhaps in the spring, could be an idea.

Lots of people seem interested in the old stick and string. Between us I'm sure we have enough equipment to give everyone who wants to plenty of practice.

Would also be interested in doing some primitive stuff - self bows, stringmaking (maybe from linen rather than Dacron??) or even experimenting with the atlatl.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Using the farm would be no bother as long as there was some sort of arrangement between us where anyone asking about insurance had to stand at the 30m mark with an apple on their head for the day.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Using the farm would be no bother as long as there was some sort of arrangement between us where anyone asking about insurance had to stand at the 30m mark with an apple on their head for the day.

I've done a Risk Assessment on that, and would advise steel toe caps for the apple-bearer, in case of injury from falling apples. Otherwise, no problem, even with broadheads.

Seriously though, sounds good.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I'd be up for that, just picked up a longbow based on threads on here... :rolleyes: be a nice change from precision recurve shooting (well when I say precision....)

Cheers,

Alan

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
You could give Eastcote Archery a try. Not exactly nearby but they're the closest I've ever heard of that sells anything but kids bows.
It's hopeless round here to be honest. Everyone I know does their own maintenance. You'd be hard pushed to even buy a decent string in Glasgow.

Thanks for the link, may give them a try. I don't have the equipment or knowledge to try taking a compound apart without doing some serious damage. Most likely to me, never mind the bow! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE