Snowfield archery

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Didn't make it out in the canoe on saturday, 'twas very grey and the forcast(bogus as it turned out) for for today was too windy.

Thought I'd pop out the farm and chuck some arrows about. Had a ton of stuff to tweak, not long ago changed the rest on a compound so had all the sights to reset and last time out I'd got half way through mocking up a new grip for a longbow that I really like but can't get on with the handle shape.

FARM_JAN_01.jpg

Layers of taped down paper bulking up the handle. It'll all get redone in leather once I've figured out the shape.

FARM_JAN_02.jpg

FARM_JAN_03.jpg

Didn't really get a chance to try it. By the time I was done faffing about with the other bow I was shattered. Had a couple of rounds but it was jelly-arm time so I just knocked it on the head and went for a wee walk. Cut a couple of willow branches to have a try at making string from the bark.
(That's a cropper - yon pear tree).

FARM_JAN_04.jpg

Took a couple of vids of the practice. It's a pretty poor show but I've hardly been out this year so wasn't expecting any better and this was all at the end of the day when my strength was about gone. 20, 30, 40 and 50m with the compound and a 20m round with the Griffon.

:)
Josh

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics Josh

And good shooting Tex

I like how you managed to slide #3 between 1 & 2. Fair enough it was at 20m but that's some pretty accurate shooting. 50m looked more like 200m from the back of the target.

I definitely need to have a go next time I'm up.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I like how you managed to slide #3 between 1 & 2.

Took out the nock in passing naturally.

These alloys with taper swages are good though, I like the way when you blow a nock it tends to just glance off the taper without damaging the arrow itself. With so many arrows you hear that sound and think "There goes one arrow, maybe two.":rolleyes:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
There were loads of tracks criss-crossing the fields. Deer, rabbit and fox fresh this morning but there's probably a weeks worth of old ones.
The woods at Cambusnethan are popular with deer. They spill out in all directions.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Nice shooting!

Those griffins are luverly:D

I'm seriously thinking of selling one of my compounds ande getting something similar. Instinctive shooting is a lot of fun and I'm kinda getting bored with the constant adjustments and tuning with the compounds.

All the best..........Ian

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
You were having fun, go on, admit it :))
Lovely place to do it too though, and it's good to see someone going free with it not constantly fiddling sights.
Thanks for the photos, etc., :D

Josh, have you thought about polymorph for moulding the trial shapes on the grips ? Melts in very hot water and then mould smoothly with no bother at all, and if it's not right, just melt it down again.

atb,
M

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That was awesome Grooveski, all that snow gave a really primal atmosphere, and that was some impressive shooting. Cool!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Cheers folks.

Interesting Toddy, had never heard of that stuff. It'd probably do the job but I've only this one handle to tweak and the paper's working ok.
...and of course I was enjoying myself. :) It just gets a bit wearying when you lose the strength but don't want to stop. It's counter productive - the worst way to practice.

Those griffins are luverly:D
Sure are! :D
I'm a sucker for Borders. Got lucky on ebay for that one.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Recurves are efficient but longbows are nicer. (or at least that's my current phase:rolleyes: )

Reckon if I was going to lose the plot and buy another it'd be a Harrier. It's made for folk like me who can't bend their wrist properly.
They sell tasty r-d longbow blanks by the way. Apparently pretty close to done(more just finishing than tillering). Never seen one but keep thinking of having a go.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
I notice you are in Glasgow Grooveski. Do you shoot in a club there? I am in ayrshire and I am having trouble finding a field archery club anywhere close.

Cheers........Ian

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I saw you let one go Josh that you weren't happy about, I noticed the noise was different too. What happened there and does it affect the flight ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE