Snowboarding Glencoe

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Button lifts I can cope with, it's the long four seater chair lifts that get me. I'm guaranteed to take out at least one of the fellow passengers when it's time to depart :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I worked last winter season as a chef in courchevel, absolutely love snowboarding! How is the snow in Scotland for it? It never occured to me to go when I lived there

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
In the last two Saturdays I have had - thigh deep powder, perfect soft snow, hard packed, icy patches - so a full range. Never boarded on Neve, which is best for climbing. Best thing about Glencoe is that it's not wide smooth pistes but varied terrain with lots of interest.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lovely SCR :)

Glad you got good conditions for it.

I'm no fan of chairlifts either-got catapulted off one in Norway and fell 20 feet face down into the safety net. The 200ft drop seen through the netting was livening :)
The guy running it stopped the lift for me every time after that :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lovely SCR :)

Glad you got good conditions for it.

I'm no fan of chairlifts either-got catapulted off one in Norway and fell 20 feet face down into the safety net. The 200ft drop seen through the netting was livening :)
The guy running it stopped the lift for me every time after that :lmao:

:yikes: yikes! Why am I not surprised though :)

The best I managed was getting off a chair lift up Brevent, the waist strap on my pack wasn't tied and the buckle managed to wedge itself into the back of the seat. When I got up to push off I couldn't get out of the seat, I muddled about behind me with my soggy gloves but couldn't free it, I just ripped it out and snapped off the buckle eventually. By this time I'd missed my chance to get off but went for it anyway, not good. Just noticed a big drop off in time and jumped back on the seat, slightly misjudging it as I was a couple of feet lower now, total air shot and missed everything, I stuck out my arm and grabbed a random pole from the tower and swung myself round before the big drop. Not quite 200ft, more like 50ft but it would've been nasty.
Felt a right plonker so sloped off and went for a brandy, or three :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
:yikes: yikes! Why am I not surprised though :)

The best I managed was getting off a chair lift up Brevent, the waist strap on my pack wasn't tied and the buckle managed to wedge itself into the back of the seat. When I got up to push off I couldn't get out of the seat.

:) That happened to me once in canada. I was hanging off the seat, but luckily the two blokes in the hut next to the carousel thing at the top, stopped the chair. We use to go boarding in Scotland about 15 years ago, but I always found the snow to be too wet compared to andorra, or France or the rockies.

In fact I reckon Ive still got a an original Libtech Dave Lee board in the loft somehwere. I wonder if it'll be worth owt now?

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Had a day up Nevis Range on Friday, some narrow runs and soft spring snow. And had a day - bluebird skys and sunburn - at Glenshee today. Just Cairngorm and the Lecht to go for my Winter tour of all Scottish Resorts.:eek:

Amazing views form the tops and not busy on runs or the lifts.

Some pics here http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE3kFn5

Glenshee Panorama by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Last day of winter snowboarding today, at Glenshee. Lovely spring snow, saw two different groups of Mountain Hares. Right on the up tracks. One group of four still white with small patches of grey. Also saw two Swallows on a wee stream at about 2500ft !

Carpark at 9.15am was 4degs but was 11degs at 4.45pm. I think the longest wait was........... 1 person in front of me !

Can't believe on a saturday it was so quiet.

Some phone pics.

Glas Maol red 20-04-13 by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Avalanche Debris by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Glas Maol red 20-04-13 by Scotstechy, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE