Snow The Cure For Winter Blues?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Putting aside the trauma caused by the inadequacies of our rail transport system, something I find shameful to put it politely, the heavy rain that's currently sweeping across South East England has plunged me into new depths of winter despair.

Am I then alone in my belief that the snow where've had, washed by an often peach-tinted sun and blue sky, actually does more to lift our spirits at this sullen time of year than we give credit for?

The thought of another two months of wind, rain and wrist-slashing grey cloud is enough send me into hibernation. Preferably in a cellar full of vintage port of course!

On the other hand it could just be down to the wonderful time I've had in recent weeks whilst living out a dream, held since childhood, of what winter woodland hunting could and should be like each year.

PLEASE bring back the snow!

Cheers

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Apart for no coal delivery's able to get through and running low on food and not being able to get to the shops(our snows all gone now) i thought the snow was great, if we'd had a stock pile of food and fuel then it could stay alot longer(oh forgot misses could'nt get to Edinburgh for her work which didnt help) so not having to work would also be a bonus, but it lifts the spirits more than whats replaced it here, eg windy,damp,and lots of rain,and more wind etc.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I like all the seasons and the weather they bring. One advantage of grey cloudy days over this snow is that the grey clouds don't cover my winter veges under 6" of snow. I got frozen fingers the other day trying to lift the netting off me kale.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know I'm thoroughly enjoying the light :D
This is usually such a grey, dreich time of year that the extra light is actually helping me keep awake :cool:
I don't get depressed by ye gods I can sleep through Winter :eek: This year, with all the snow, not so much.

cheers,
Toddy.............who woke up to a Winter wonderland after three days of wet thaw :D

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Yep! I'm lucky enought o live close to work and the roads weren't that bad here anyway. So for me the snow has mainly meant the daily ambe with the dogs was even prettier and cheerier than usual. I'm gutted its going, we could have snow three months of the year for me.

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I agree, it's been great to have a white Christmas and to be able to take the kids sledging. My eldest is just learning to make snowballs properly and it will soon be time to remind him of the most important rule of snowball fights with Daddy - Daddy always wins! (or, at least, Daddy could win if he was feeling mean enough :))

We've had a few grey snowy days, but also a good number of glorious high-pressure, bright-sun-blue-sky-no-cloud days with perfect snow. My run this morning was still through a perfectly snowy-white landscape on a crunchy crust, even though it is thawing a bit during the day.

When do we get to hear the hunting stories then? :D

Rat

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Snow's great if you can go out to play in it. If you have to struggle to get to work through it, it's a PITA.
This is what I have to explain to SWMBO... it's fun for a day or so, but at some point you need to get things done and it's just been no fun battling the roads and traffic recently.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Right now in Edinburgh, it's grey, dreich, and snowing. A couple of spells as a Christmas postie down in West Linton (one of the highest and coldest villages in the UK) really put me off the stuff...

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Or is it just the case that we are lead to believe by those in power in the UK, that everytime it snows they make it seem like its the end of the World and it gives us all something to prepare for and takes our minds off the next tax hike!

All in all though I find it more fun allbeit just for that reason, and the snowballing etc.

W

woodlanduk

we have not had enough here to worry about i have just spent 3 days and 2 nights out to test my winter kit and just chill out and enjoy it before having to go home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhbBYACBQ1k
heres a bit of video to show you what we got up to this was at the height of the snow in the Sout East of the UK

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I thought I'd had enough of snow until this morning and when it started again. It seemed to cheer me right up.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
i love the snow when im not at work, its somewhat relaxing an peacefull.however its not much fun spending an hour and a half getting to work in downright dangerous conditions( ruddy council not having any ability to get the roads safe). nor is it fun to spend all day reducing thorn filled shrub beds that still have 6 inches of snow sat on them, lets have a repeat of last years 12 inches...that was great times
lee

Last edited:

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I think I'm about the only person (apart from SWMBO) around here who hasn't had enough snow! -Not looking forward to the rapidly forming slush though...

I've been able to wear loads of my otherwise redundant winter gear (when else am I able to wear to work a red down jacket and navy blue mountaineering boots with orange laces?)

Hope we get another good winter when its meant to be here, ie next month!

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE