Snow Shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I looking to get into snow shoeing this winter.

Not much snow in Sussex so I’m heading to Finland in January. The plan is to hike, snow shoe self supported for few days. Jump on the train back home.

Question is what should I look for in a pair of shoes? Any recommendations?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v had good luck with ATLAS 1230's i'm sure they arent the flashiest around but rock solid and available military surplus

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Very, very hard work, walking on snow shoes!

I would get a pair from some mil surplus. Canada? Finland?

Not sure if the Swedish Army used snow shoes, not as far as I remember.

Our snowshoes vary in design according to the kind of snow and places you use them. I don't know what kind of conditions you may be walking in.

Snowshoes (Asamettik) ffor open ground then our snowshoes are pointed fronts, longish and thin. We make ours to the hight of our eyes from the ground. The pointed fronts - lashed together or steamed and rounded do not catch on bush or small branches. Ours are only fastened over the front of our boots so that the back of them is always heavier than the front so the front stays lifted. these are for fast travel.

Snowshoes for bush or thick forest with snags then asametitk can be rounded and a little more wide.

If you are on fresh new snow you want fine lacing and more on the front as it is the front that often gets stuck in deep snow. Over older snow this doesn;t matter too much but you want the lacing' made of thicker hide as thinner hide gets easily broken/worn on rocks or cut by ice.

Probably easier if you do what Janne suggests and buy ex military ones. If you've not used them much you may find them difficult to use.

But I think skis might be more traditional in Scandinavia??

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have the snowshoes which Joe describes with pointed fronts. Mine are 60" long and maybe 10" wide.
We call them "trail-breakers" and they are very comfortable all day. When you go to step forward,
only the tip comes off the snow and the tails drag. The size depends on the wearer's weight.

I also use a pair of Sherpa "bear paws" with round fronts and ice claws underneath.
They are all modern materials and so hard to repair without special parts.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Trad cross country skis are basically longer, narrower snow shoes.
They are fixed to your boot so the front end of the boot is attached to the ski, but it pivots. Your heel goes up and down easily.
Lateral movement is limited.

Different techniques are used with those, I guess you have heard about the Telemark style? That is one of the skiing techniques.

With a special skin attached you use the skis for walking. A different skin for skiing with a lot of uphill stretches.

In more modern techniques you use different grade ( temperature) of waxes.
But the skins are better.

I think the best option would be to search online for a Canadian or Alaskan brand.

(or make your own?)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Sherpa company died many years ago so the originals with metal frames, nylon and neoprene webs, are hard to find
unless you're old and decrepit like me and don't throw things away. There's stuff on eBay.

What you will find is that a company called IRL manufactures a modern version of the Sherpa snow shoes, ice claws included.
That's where you go to get parts, even for the old ones.

IRL stands for Industrial Reproductions Limited, based in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Maybe I should have put a smilie at the end?

I hope though those troopers practice skiing a bit more, I can see they are a little bit unsteady.
I guess they are in the beginning of the winter training.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thinking back, I never saw an US, British or any other NATO soldier using snow shoes.
Skis 100%

Imo skis are superior to snow shoes. You can walk on them ( ski at walking speed) and you can be very fast.

Maybe I should have put a smilie at the end?

I hope though those troopers practice skiing a bit more, I can see they are a little bit unsteady.
I guess they are in the beginning of the winter training.
Smilies certainly help with the written nature of forums. I like to think of them as the visual version of tone of voice.

I suspect they were at the start of their winter training. I know my father in law trained em well so it became as natural as walking to them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE