Snow Gate Watch - for Teepee

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Enjoy your boarding SCR :)

Good signs for a reload of the cold for the start of feb Dougster, hope your in luck.

I don't think we'll be short of snow at the weekend Pete :)

Should be interesting with those winds coming in, let's get some walls built up around the bottom of the tarps

We may need walls to protect the walls :D

I'm going kitted for near immersion for this one with all that blowing wet snow. Might leave the down UQ at home and swap it for the downmat.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A very cold night coming up on Thursday, probably the coldest of the year so far. -15 C on the cards down here :approve:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The wind forecast will give drifts eg over the road. I'm hoping to slide at Glencoe. As the road is a tad lower and easier to plough/clear and it's an arterial route, which the Devils Elbow/Glenshee isn't, it should be fine.

Looks like there will be a thaw early next week too.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
We may need to when we get stuck at the top of Glenshee :lmao:

I just looked at the closed road web link, it shows the a93 shut but the snow gate webcam shows open :dunno: Maybe the webcam is better to check than the official site...

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
There are several snow gates on a A93 the Braemar one has a webcam as posted, but it is the gates to the south that will stop you first. Spittle of glenshee gate has been closed all week http://trafficscotland.org/ and there is another gate at the top of glenshee by the ski area which has also been shut.

At some point the road was closed even further south not at an official snow gate as such. Check road closures carefully as A93 was also closed east of Braemar for a while this week meaning no in or out access by road.

It doesn't matter if you drive a 4x4 have winter tyres etc. if they close the road it is no access so they can safely plough without hitting stray cars!

Good luck with your trip though. I hope to be back to the highlands soon to enjoy what winter has to offer.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There are several snow gates on a A93 the Braemar one has a webcam as posted, but it is the gates to the south that will stop you first. Spittle of glenshee gate has been closed all week http://trafficscotland.org/ and there is another gate at the top of glenshee by the ski area which has also been shut.

At some point the road was closed even further south not at an official snow gate as such. Check road closures carefully as A93 was also closed east of Braemar for a while this week meaning no in or out access by road.

It doesn't matter if you drive a 4x4 have winter tyres etc. if they close the road it is no access so they can safely plough without hitting stray cars!

Good luck with your trip though. I hope to be back to the highlands soon to enjoy what winter has to offer.

Thanks for that Pinz :)

That explains why the Braemar side is open but the website said shut. TBH, I thought it was just slow to update :rolleyes:

I only ever saw 2 gates, maybe I should cut some eyeholes in my steering wheel pillow so I can see them this time :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oh dear. it's not even snowing yet either ...

Fri25.jpg

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It's the south side that shuts most frequently, not the one above which is the Braemar side. The south side from Spittal of Glenshee is twisty, up and down and very steep just before Glenshee centre.

I would head for Lomondside/Arrochar/Succoth/Rest and Be Thankful/Loch Awe. Tyndrum should be clear, it's not too high.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Looks like you had fun Rich. How deep was the snow? It looks about four foot in the dug out picture!

Will there be a trip report?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE