Snow bound car grab bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Not the best title for a new thread but WTH

With the onset of winter in the UK I was musing to myself about what I should carry in the old volvo i case of getting snowbound on the way home from work.

Now don't you snigger you norgee and swedes !!

As I work nights the idea of a frosty night out does not appeal , not without some kit prep anyway

So here is my list

Sleeping bag
Gas stove and gas
Lighter
boil in the bag rations
wooly hat and gloves
torch
shovel

Anymore ??

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
water!! something to cock in bill or suck like.. thats about all you need..

maybe and FAK and some snow chains..

remember to open the windows if your going to use a gas stove in the car so you dont get suffocated! :yikes:

i would just be happy to get enough snow to get "snow bound in" :cry:
:chill:

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
maybe some instant energy food like chocolate, and a phone might be handy aswell.

judging by most of the winter forecasts iv'e seen, your gonna need this kit!

:chill:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
boil in a bag meals.. while tasteing horrible have about 30000 times your RDA of energy in them anyway.. but chocolate never goes amiss!! :wink:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I'd add a wool or fleece blanket to go with your sleeping bag.

A tarp or poncho, just in case you have to climb under the vehicle for any reason, or have to leave the vehicle and set up outside.

A heavy coat

spare pair of heavy socks

insulated boots

plenty of water

high energy food

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would pack:

Warm jacket, hat and gloves for calls of nature clearing the exhaust etc.

Blanket or sleeping bag... probably blanket as it'll line the boot when not in use.

Cigars, a candle and lighter, you may or may not want to forget the cigars.

A torch, one that plugs in the car lighter so you can't have dead batteries when you need a torch the most.

Mobile phone as it's always with me anyway with a car charger.

Some chocolate bars and a flask of hot coffee before I leave the house as it's handy for the inevitable bad snow related traffic jam or two anyway. Something to read also as staying awake is important.

I think anything more would be over kill and only really useful for planned extended hard shoulder car camping.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Would some chicken wire help the tyres get a grip if you got stuck or would you need something a bit more heavy duty?

toilet paper could be handly
something to do whilst your stuck

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Depends on what kinda cold you are expecting i guess

warm clothes and good boots never really go amiss

ski pole or 2 help when walking in snow

you might like to think about a fluorescent flag to put on top of the arial too helps them to find the car buried in a drift

shovel and a couple of hessian sacks, wax the shovel with candle wax and the snow will not stick to it

gas stoves can freeze in really cold weather

mebbe try a petrol one instead

bic lighter

high calorie food billy can tea / coffee, sugar, powdered milk

hat scarf and gloves of course

and the sleeping bag already suggested

should all fit into a plastic container box cept the sovel and the ski poles leaving you the rest of the boot free to fill with sandbags :eek:):

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
spread em out under the wheels and they help the car grip rather than spinning the tyres

course if it is over the roof in snowdrift it might not help in which case tou could use em to keep warm

Tant

carpet offcuts work well too

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've got a couple of those " Just add water" heaters in my car kit, saves worrying about a stove etc in car if I have to heat up a "boil in the bag" meal. and yes, I've got a cfew litres of water in the back as well :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Can you still get those ones that look like the element from a kettle and plug into the fag lighter socket? No gases from them me thinks :wink:

Bill

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've been thinking about much the same sort of kit lately. Driving a 4X4 I'd forget the hessian sacks personally, but for family type cars that's a good idea.

I've added the Swedish Army mess set to my list, otherwise you guys seem to have it pretty well covered.

I keep mine in a spare rucksack so it's not left in the car overnight to temp those nasty sticky fingered people.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE