snatched moments of bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
my free time has seriously shrunk recently what with jake,work, scouts and so on(not that i mind). However, i am missing my bushcraft fix so have been snatching a few moments here and there.
so far i have collected a bags worth of walnuts whilst walking to work and gathered a tobacco tins worth of paper birch bark in my lunch break whilst out on a training course today. i take a star book in my pocket to work and when having a cigarette break in the evening i try to recognise or identify constellations. i look at tracks on the footpath i follow on my way to work.
anyone else snatch little moments where they can? i like to think its how our forebears would of used their skills here and there through out the day rather than specifically going bushcrafting per se

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
I don't see bushcraft as an activity in itself. I see it as a set of skills, knowledge and awareness of the natural world that in times gone by made life possible or even comfortable. I'm far from being an expert in any of these things but it always makes me happy when i can employ something i've learned - whether it be picking berries or nuts while walking or being able to bring my dull kitchen knives back to life.

I guess what i'm saying is that once you've learnt some "bushcraft" it will enrich you life in many ways.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually it's the way I grew up. A short fishing or hunting trip after school, cutting the Christmas tree before going shopping, etc.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have been snatching moments each day this week at tea-time and lunch by cooking up some food in my new MSR Titan kettle while at work. Using some of my alcohol stoves I have been steadily perfecting the cooking of several dried pasta mixes and flavoured rice packs and also the old 'Oat so simple' sachets.

Makes a nice change from sandwiches.

Steve.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Mushroom hunting in the grounds of the industrial estate at work during lunch. Earlier in the year it was tree identification and orchid spotting.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
Looking at stars and locating north and various constellations last night in between manning our equipment winch on the ship last night. Making a net needle out of perspex while monitoring the equipment. Bushcraft even gets to sea.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Foraging apple,s -Whilst working on a roof you can see into every garden in the street - and after a polite request for winfalls for cider making - you end up with bags full !!!!:rolleyes::D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE