Snake - Beauty and Danger!

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd take a short break from posting about my Yosemite trip to share a recent experience. I'm sure many of you can relate to what happened to me.

I went for an early morning hike in an open space preserve. It was just a few hours after sunrise and I hoped to spot some interesting wildlife. I was hiking through a mixed forest of California Bay Laurel, Madrone, Tanoak, and Douglass Fir.

bcfrm_trail.jpg

The trail followed a hillside and transitioned to chapparal. As I neared a bend, I spotted this magnificent creature:

bcfrm_Kingsnake.jpg

It is a Coast Mountain Kingsnake (Lampropeltis zonata multifasciata). I do not know if you have them in the UK, but they are harmless constrictors.

I was excited to see the snake, only having seen one other before. I felt confident as I crept upon it because of the old adage, "Red Touch Yellow, Kills a Fellow. Red Touch Black, Friend of Jack." That is why I couldn't understand when I suddenly felt danger. My gaze kept wandering and I had trouble keeping my attention on the snake.

Here is a link to more pictures: Mountain Kingsnake - Beauty and Danger.

The pictures capture what set off the alarm bells. Some part of my brain recognized the threat before I became conscious of it. Fortunately, I became aware before anything happened.

This encounter served as a reminder to pay attention to that “inner voice” that warns you when something isn’t right. Have you ever been in a situation when some part of your brain told you there was a problem, but you willfully tried to ignore it? What happened?

- Woodsorrel

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Good cautionary experience for keeping you alert. We don't have any deadly animals here in UK unless you count the badger (although wild boar have been reported in recent years), sadly we do have plenty of dangerous lesser evolved apes wearing clothing to keep us on our toes.

Back in 97 i got in an argument with someone i knew was a lunatic and was still surprised walking to hospital with a 5 inch knife wound in my gut ten minutes later, I should have listened to that voice telling me the idiot was not worth it and neither was the £5 we were arguing about

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just finished reading the blog very cool rattlesnake encounter, definitely not got anything like that here

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent blog post and pictures. What a wonderful encounter.

My 'inner voice alarm' usually relates to navigation. I have learned to listen to the voice that says "Wait, something about this doesn't look right", and it usually transpires that I have made a navigational error that means that I am not where I think I am, or am going in the wrong direction. By learning to pay attention to the 'alarm' quickly, I can rectify the mistake before I am a long way from where I should be.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's brilliant- I do like snakes- never seen a wild one but held a constrictor before whereas spiders would have me more worried. I know what you mean about the inner voice- I get that whenever I climb something- not for fun, to over comb an obstacle I always think I'm going to fall of and I often do! Thankfully nothing very big though. Great post and great pictures!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Danger is all around us, we take 99% of it for granted as we become accustomed to it not affecting us daily which enforces the illusion of safety, remember the first movie in the saga Final Destination?

When i was reading your blog i couldn't help thinking that you probably saved one of those joggers from getting bitten by treading on the rattler

...My 'inner voice alarm' usually relates to navigation. I have learned to listen to the voice that says "Wait, something about this doesn't look right", and it usually transpires that I have made a navigational error that means that I am not where I think I am, or am going in the wrong direction. By learning to pay attention to the 'alarm' quickly, I can rectify the mistake before I am a long way from where I should be.

I admire that ability, Harvestman! I can recall two recent incidents where I ignored that feeling and trekked a few extra miles as a result. I wonder if it is a "perishable" ability? We hike on groomed trails so often in my area. I wonder how much of our "navigation sense" we still rely on?

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
We don't have any deadly animals here in UK unless you count the badger....

We have that rattlers cousin... the adder. Drop for drop its venom is more potent than that rattler. Fortunately its venom glands are smaller, but it can still deliver a fatal bite.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Only snakes i have ever seen here was the grass snake, thanks for the heads up, wonder if they are this far north? Off for a googling

great stuff i'll be on the lookout for them i'd love to see one and feel a sense of danger/awe at a wild uk critter

Uk Sightings map

http://adder.narrs.org.uk/mapholder.php

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE