Snails for quick food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I was just wondering. There are tons of snails in woods i visit, loads of Helix pomatia. Are they any good for quick food? Like cooking them in embers..? Has anyone tried this?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i was going to say, be careful where you pick your snails, if they're eating poisonous plants or mushrooms then your technically eating a small poison bomb.
hence the clensing.

xylaria

I heard some were they empty their elimentary canal before going into stasis for the winter, so you can creep up on them when they are sleeping. It is the part they play in the life cycle of brain eating parasites puts me off trying them.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Its the fact they are snails that puts me off eating them,why oh why when foods a plenty would anyone eat a snail! the nearest ive got to eating one was to try limpet,never again.

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
I can't comment on personal experience, but over in the village my parents live in in Spain, a hard rain is generally followed by large groups of locals out hunting for the baby snails, which they pop whole into paellas etc.

To be fair, I can't vouch for this being for taste, or if it is just an economical way to deal with a pest that managed to devour my mum's entire veg patch in a single post-rainy afternoon!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Too late in the year now, they're hiding. Well. Need to research more on the brain eating parasites before anything else.

Evilgoblin

Nov 15, 2010
UK/London
I was just wondering. There are tons of snails in woods i visit, loads of Helix pomatia. Are they any good for quick food? Like cooking them in embers..? Has anyone tried this?

From the Wiki Entry on distribution

# Great Britain: in the west and south England[2] southern areas on chalk. Its common name in the UK is Roman snail as was introduced to the by the Romans during the Roman period (AD 43-410). In England only (not the rest of the UK) the Roman snail is a protected species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, making it illegal to kill, injure, collect or sell them.[4]

Full article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix_pomatia

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I heard some were they empty their elimentary canal before going into stasis for the winter, so you can creep up on them when they are sleeping. It is the part they play in the life cycle of brain eating parasites puts me off trying them.

sigh...go on then, whats this brain eating parasite?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Snails are OK but have no real 'food' value unless you smother them in a nice garlic butter to up the fat/food content so really not great as a wild food. As with things like cockles you would need to eat a couple of kilo a day to get any food value from them.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE