Smokey joe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
Hi everyone

I was reading the thread titled bushcraft or old fashioned camping and a name popped up from my childhood

When i was around 14 or 15 years old there was a program on tv called brendans chase some of the older people on here will remember it , it was about two young lads who ran off to the woods to live of the land anyway they met a old man called Smokey joe who lived in the woods is this the same guy as british red mentioned or did they take his name beacuse he was a famous woodsman , whats the story regarding smokey joe i would love to find out more about this man and did he have any connection with the tv program

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
while not ringing some bells this program is tinkling some. When was it on? I am 43 would I remember it or am I getting mixed up with something else?
chris

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good evening Hiker,

I'm sorry to say I can't shed any light on the programme in question, but I can a little on the character in question

Smokey Joe lived on or around Haldon Hill outside Exeter in Devon in the late 70s (on the left hand side going down the hill in my day :) ). He was a little.....unconventional shall we say but no danger to anyone. I hesitate to call him a tramp as that has overtones that imply a drunk (which he wasn't - although he liked a drop), drug addict (he wouldn't have even understood what drugs were), beggar (he deliberately distanced himself from urban living). He was perhaps the precursor of the traveller. He knew a lot about survivivg on little or no income. He lived in a tent but cooked on a fire and was not above "liberating" the odd bunny, pheasant or trout. I don't look at him through rose coloured glasses, he was a guy who decided the 20th century didn't suit him. He lived simply and not poorly. He looked older than he was and died younger than he might have done. To my knowledge he lived without 4 walls for 15 years although I suspect quite a bit longer. He was nice, unthreatening and a bit odd at times. He really loved Kentucky spare ribs. I liked him a lot and miss him at strange times

Red

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Hiker said:
From memory i would say it was on tv around 1983 84 come on somone must remember this show

thats when i met my wife so i didnt do much telly watching, if you know what i mean ;) :eek:
chris

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Brendon chase was a book long before the tv version. The book was a favourite of mine when I was small I expect theres still a copy in the junior library somewhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE