smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
I have a ventile smock but is to heavy to my taste so I ´d like some information about SMOCKS made from cotton gabardine or ripstop gabardine.

1.Stronger fabric gabardine or ripstop weave?

2.which is more waterproof, windproof and fast drying gabardine or ripstop?

3.Tan color available with brown bottons and brown velcro in which fabric?

4.Where can I get one with the above specs?

Thanks for your attention.
Enjoy

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
try these guys , a little pricey but very good kit .
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/
I had the kit karry smock and it could take a full weekends worth of kit in its pockets (with out them falling off) . They do various colours and alterations as well.
Pumbaa

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
right there is no difference between ripstop and cotton gaberdine apart from the obvious that ripstop has those criss cross lines on it to obviously stop the fabric from further ripping !

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
m.durston said:
right there is no difference between ripstop and cotton gaberdine apart from the obvious that ripstop has those criss cross lines on it to obviously stop the fabric from further ripping !
And that ripstop is often poly/cotton rather than straight cotton.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Cotton gaberdine is a more comfortable material than ripstop, and very windproof. After a few years though, the windproof quality reduces a bit. Gaberdine smocks themselves, ie;SAS smocks are actually very hard wearing eventhough the material is quite thin. I used to be worried about them ripping, but I soon realised that they are tough, even when crawling around in mud and river beds etc.( I do walk occasionaly as well)! The good things about the SASS smocks is that the buttons are looped instead of stiched in the normal way, but normally you can just put a piece of fabric tape over the stitches on the buttons on the normal SAS mocks. I'd say that they are lighter as well. However, obtaining one in tan might be difficult. They dry out very fast too.

Julian.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
pumbaa said:
try these guys , a little pricey but very good kit .
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/
I had the kit karry smock and it could take a full weekends worth of kit in its pockets (with out them falling off) . They do various colours and alterations as well.
Pumbaa

If you can hang on a little while I believe Gary from Bearclaw Bushcraft is having these made to his own tried and tested pattern and he will then be selling them through his trading post...

http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading.htm

Cheers,

Bam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE