smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

Hi

I dont know if anyone can help but I have been on the look out for what I would call a Norwegian headover windproof smock (dont know if this is what any of you would call it!). Basically its olive green with a large map pocket on the front.

Any ideas

Cheers ears

A

Anonymous

Ye i have been looking for the same thing for some years now, in the end i had to get the sewing machine out and make one out of some ventile material.
It is a fairly easy garment to make i think i even got a suitable pattern from pennine outdoor fabrics, sorry not sure on the website but it should be easy to find.
I look forward to finding the real thing if they are available.

Michael

A

Anonymous

The army used to issue a similar garment for adventurous training made from gaberdine and in bright orange !! But I havent seen one in use for a long time.

Try westwinds they make ventile garments check out this item

http://www.west-winds.co.uk/p_ventile_windshirt.htm

no large map pocket but almost what you want.

cheers

John

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Iast something like this you are after?

581.jpg

J

Jamie

That would be perfect Johan! Do you know where I can get one and how much it would be?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The jacket is called Anorak it was very common in the 70`s here in the north. Nowadays they are not so common. The on in the picture isa US Combat Anorak, but there is also a lot of others, the come in diffrent materials and the cheap cost around £40-50.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Anonymous said:
Ye i have been looking for the same thing for some years now, in the end i had to get the sewing machine out and make one out of some ventile material.
It is a fairly easy garment to make i think i even got a suitable pattern from pennine outdoor fabrics, sorry not sure on the website but it should be easy to find.
I look forward to finding the real thing if they are available.

Michael
You can find a far better range of patterns from places in the USA, and probably cheaper as well. I got a really good smock pattern (green pepper coast range anorak) and 2 others from www.questoutfitters.com for about the same as 1 1/2 patterns would have cost me in the UK. Really helpful folk and delivery took less than a week (posted Thurs, arrived Tues if I remember right).
Cheers
David

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Jamie if it helps the west winds windproof smock is the best value for money out there at the moment if your after ventile.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've had a look at the Pennine outdoor patterns and the PointNorth patterns but none of them are exactly what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know if you can get a pattern for the SAS smock/jacket with the full-length zip and the 4 bellows pockets? I've used these for work and they are the proverbial dog's dangleys so I'd like to have a go at making one in khaki or olive.

If not, the West Winds smock looks the next best thing - has anyone had a go at making the PointNorth smock and, if so, how do you reckon it compares?

leon-1

Mike, if you can PM Neil1, he has made a smock in Ventile based on the SAS smock, he didn't use a pattern, but used an old smock that he took apart to see how it was made. His smock has not got bellows pockets, but they are quite easy to figure how to do (I have done them for kit that I used to use)

He may have made a pattern from that, if so he probably wouldn't mind giving it to you. He will also be a mine of information as far as types of needle to use and the difficulties of working in Ventile.

I know that he had a few problems when he was making it due to the density of the weave of Ventile.

leon-1

Gary said:
Jamie if it helps the west winds windproof smock is the best value for money out there at the moment if your after ventile.

I'll agree about the quality of West-Winds equipment, but the service that I have had from them has been bad and I have heard horror stories from other people awaiting thier kit.

So far absolutely nothing that i have bought from them has arrived when it should do and when you try and get in touch you can never get hold of them (you have to bear in mind that you pay upfront for this kit and it may be a reasonable price, but it still is not cheap).

Leon.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I originally ordered a West Winds Windshirt, but cancelled soon after, having been told that there would be a delay of at least four weeks.
I then bought a lovely Snowsled Classic Smock. :)

The other day I received a telephone call from a gent (can't remember his name) who told me that he was an MD for SnugPak and that they had taken over WestWinds and were sorting out the orders to see what was outstanding.
So, things may be more reliable from now on.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE