Smock Smock Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Pic as promised, please excuse the macho pose, I couldnt help myself, I was just off out bunny bashing and I usually look a bit daft in pictures so made an effort not to look gormless :rolleyes:

smock.jpg

The smock fits pretty well I think, I'm only wearing a t-shirt under it here and theres plenty of room for layering and length in the sleeves. I should mention I'm 5'11" tall, a 44" chest with long arms and fond of pies :D.

The trousers are OG craghoppers for colour comparison.

If anyones interested the pack is the excellent ex-swedish army M39 canvas and leather effort (though only the straps are visible) and the rifle is my 52 year old BRNO mod 2 .22LR. (the small brown lump at the bottom right is my future gun dog 'Fudge', and I'm not missing an index finger it just looks that way :D )

Andy

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Sorry for being so late in replying to this thread guys, first week back at university and all that. I had a lot of parties to go to and a fair amount of school work to take care of as well. *cough cough*

Fast But Dim, I'm surprised that you don't find G-1000 showerproof. I was very careful waxing mine and it holds very nearly as well as my Ventile. The thing to remember when waxing G-1000 is to heat the garment up a bit before you apply the max, and when you do, apply several very thin layers making sure the garment is kept warm the entire time. Do that, and it should last you quite a while. I haven't proofed mine in a year and it's still holding up.

Mesquite, Ventile regularly runs in several hundred UK Pounds and US dollars range. So considering that a Nordli anorak runs less than a hundred Pounds on OiPolloi, I'd say it's a good deal. :)

Later guys and I'll try to remember to check this more often.

Adam

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Pic as promised, please excuse the macho pose, I couldnt help myself, I was just off out bunny bashing and I usually look a bit daft in pictures so made an effort not to look gormless :rolleyes:

smock.jpg

The smock fits pretty well I think, I'm only wearing a t-shirt under it here and theres plenty of room for layering and length in the sleeves. I should mention I'm 5'11" tall, a 44" chest with long arms and fond of pies :D.

The trousers are OG craghoppers for colour comparison.

If anyones interested the pack is the excellent ex-swedish army M39 canvas and leather effort (though only the straps are visible) and the rifle is my 52 year old BRNO mod 2 .22LR. (the small brown lump at the bottom right is my future gun dog 'Fudge', and I'm not missing an index finger it just looks that way :D )

Andy

Looks good!

Mine is on the way! (Could not find one locally)

So cant wait to give it a try!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I saw Addos' yesterday, it was white when I saw it last. he's modified the cuffs so that they are longer, and they close like the bottom of a pair of trousers with a cord. It is a really neat system, how come it hasn't been used before?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Mine arrived this am and am very pleased at this point!

Fits a dream! should fit over my swani a charm!

Hood arrangement seems very good.

it is in the washer being dyed OG as I type (After its pre-wash it did stiffen ("Cardboard) up considerably)

the ally buttons need to go fairly soon though!

Soooooooooooooooo thanks all for your help and advice!

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
Fast But Dim, I'm surprised that you don't find G-1000 showerproof. I was very careful waxing mine and it holds very nearly as well as my Ventile. The thing to remember when waxing G-1000 is to heat the garment up a bit before you apply the max, and when you do, apply several very thin layers making sure the garment is kept warm the entire time. Do that, and it should last you quite a while. I haven't proofed mine in a year and it's still holding up.

Adam

I've not waxed mine: I didn't think i'd need to, i bought it in june:umbrella: !

will waxing make it less breathable or affect it's appearance?

ta ian

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Started pimping my swedish smock again. The material I used for my cuffs came of the bottom of some combats, so decided to pick off the leg pockets and put on as chest pockets, post a photo when done.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Started pimping my swedish smock again. The material I used for my cuffs came of the bottom of some combats, so decided to pick off the leg pockets and put on as chest pockets, post a photo when done.

no no no!! If you put up pics it will mean more work for me!

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Personally I think the Swedish smock is almost the perfect bushcraft jacket, I'd prefer to have a chest pocket on the it (thought about buying a 2nd one for the material to do it but i felt that was too much a waste of a good jacket) , I love the cut of the underarms on them though, makes movement soo much better when you dont lift the whole smock up reaching over your head.

Ok maybe the cuff could be a bit more adjustable as standard, but its one of the few jackets I have that has adequate arm length.

So in the far off mists of time when my smock has expired due to long hard use i'm planning to use it as a pattern for a ventile (the heavy stuff ) one, with modifed cuffs and a large chest pocket, I might make the hood slightly smaller too (it was design to go over a helmet afterall :rolleyes: ).

Any one else suggest further mods to the design ?

Andy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Those Endicott smocks are very similar to the first ventile anorak I had 42 years ago, but mine had a wide chest pocket on it as well.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Finished (for now) Think I'll put a bit on the bottom when ive got a bit more time, and a draw cord. Not quite the leopard skin look this time but liking the idea of the two tone lining:lmao:

Colours dont quite match but I quite like it, If the wax fails I might re-dye it.

Addo :)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks really good!

Like the look of it.

Put a drawstring in the bottom of mine does help a little

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE