Smock Smock Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Can anyone advise me on the type of dye they used (OD finnish would be good)

Does the garment need any prep for the dying etc

How large is a large? I am 6ft tall with a 44" chest

I used the dye suitable for washing machines, Dark Green, £5 from wilkinsons.
Gave it a wash with norm detergent to clean and remove any proofing already on.
Dye then reproof.
Personally I'd try one on if your not sure of the size, or cant get details off the seller. My large is just right with layers under and nice and baggy when just a shirt so ok when wet in the warmer months. Im 5'10 and 42 chest. I did extend my arms at the cuff.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I used the dye suitable for washing machines, Dark Green, £5 from wilkinsons.
Gave it a wash with norm detergent to clean and remove any proofing already on.
Dye then reproof.
Personally I'd try one on if your not sure of the size, or cant get details off the seller. My large is just right with layers under and nice and baggy when just a shirt so ok when wet in the warmer months. Im 5'10 and 42 chest. I did extend my arms at the cuff.

Mmmmm I have quite long arms so maybe this wont fit!

Dog nam it!
(How did you extend the sleave?)
(Is it the same as the one in the link?)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Your link is the one.
I extended the cuffs by unpicking the taper, and finding similar cotton material and sewing it on. I used the bottom of some old combats. The bottom of which became the end of the sleeve with the draw cord to add a bit of shape around the wrist. Sewing method this time was a machine which I am loving at the mo. I sew more than the mrs!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cool!

Gonna try and find one localy!

(dont suppose you know the length of your arms do you?)

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
Hey Addyb, :sadwavey:

Can you show me a picture / link of the Nordli Anorak? I'm really interested in one, but I was only able to find it as a jacket...:confused:

I did however found a Lars Fält jacket......comes with a free fire-steel apparently!!.:D

(didn't know he also has his own clothing range :rolleyes: )

http://www.fjallraven.com/Products/...134&SectionName=yes&Menu=menu2&SectionId=3004

it is a jacket:
http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Fjallraven-NordliJacketNavy-1540.html
first one via google

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Is this the one..http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/detail/rowid=692

Also does anyone have a picture of one being worn?

Yes thats the swedish snow smock, IIRC i got an unissued one for £20 posted from another online retailer but I can't remember the name

I'm a 44 chest and 5'11" with Orangutang arms and My arms are ok. I think mine is the extra large, its a bit baggy but not overly so and the drawcord keeps it in check. They are quite long, about mid thigh length on me

I used Dylon OG green on mine and some wood effect buttons ( want to swap these for wood asap) I proof it with homemade greenland wax rubbed on like a crayon and thrown in dryer.

Andy

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Recipe I used was 9 parts paraffin wax to 1 part beeswax, melted together. I used 9 tea lights and 3/4 of a small block of beeswax (the kind most DIY /craft stores stock)

Chopped it up a bit and placed it in double boiler, then when fully melted I let it set in an old plastic food box.

The recipe is supposedly the same as used by fjallraven on their G 1000 fabric, the colour looks similar anyway.

You just rub it on like a crayon then use a hairdryer/tumble dryer/campfire to melt it into the fabric, one application makes the fabric stiffer but not waxy to touch though i generally use 2 coats on shoulders, hood, etc. Rain beads up nicely and runs off, reapplication is needed now and then due to wear particularly on elbows, shoulders and other high wear areas. But its just a case of carrying a small block in your kit for use out and about.

Hope this helps

I'll try and get a picture of mine on tomorrow.

Andy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Recipe I used was 9 parts paraffin wax to 1 part beeswax, melted together. .................................arrying a small block in your kit for use out and about.

Hope this helps

I'll try and get a picture of mine on tomorrow.

Andy

Great! Thanks!

I like the idea that you can re apply when out and about!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
IF SPAMEL'S AROUND (or anyone else who might be able to answer...):

I bought one of the smocks you had on the B&B at the bushmoot, and was looking to dye it thie weekend. Can you reccomend any particular brand of dye that will work well on the material?

EDIT

I really should bother to look at the other posts... Robbo's efectively answered my question before I even asked it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE