Smock Smock Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well I need another smock!

Can anyone advise me on a cheap (Preferably traded on here [xl]:eek: :ban: :) ) Smock in Olive green, windproof, water repelent (Ish), with a good array of pockets?

Help I am going mad!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Ehhhh....the Endicott smock looks alright, but I'd recommend a Fjallraven Nordli anorak in G1000. It has four large pockets, is tough as nails, nylon mesh lined and in my opinion, is very nearly equal to Ventile. And it's half the price. Oh, and it dries fast to boot.

Cheers,

Adam

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
.... a Fjallraven Nordli anorak in G1000. It has four large pockets, is tough as nails, nylon mesh lined and in my opinion, is very nearly equal to Ventile. And it's half the price.

Where can you get the Nordli anorak from for only £13.15? Only if it's that sort of price then I'd be getting one :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Try a swedish snow smock and dye it, and cover it with greenland wax. I did and it works a treat. Two large pockets on it and space to add two more on the chest if you wish. They cost around £15-20 and I think theres one on ebay at the mo already dyed.
No conection or owt. If the wax dont work Nikwax cotton proof is suposed to work if more than one coat applied.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Im not sure Peter, but the arms are quite short, I extended mine on a large one. Spamel had a few for sale at the moot and there was a smaller one than mine that didn't fit. Im sure if you pm'ed he might be able to help.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They do come in varying sizes, although I can't remember seeing a label on them or anything. They tend to be quite big as they are designed for wearing in a cold enviornment over insulative layers.

If you wear woolen clothing (which I strongly advise in the British climate) then you will find that a swedish snow smock will keep you dry when worn over a swanndri type shirt in a moderate shower. The Swanndri may get a little damp, but you won't get wet through for a long while. Adding a water proofing agent, such as cotton nikwax or greenland wax as Addo has will only make it better in wet conditions.

I wore my smock in a downpour for an hour talking to an aquaintance at the bottom of my road. No tarp over head, no trees to shelter me. My hat got wet on the outside (the woolen one I got from Canada) but my head stayed dry, and my smock wetted out and cardboarded a bit, but I was dry underneath and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. If I was caught out outdoors on a tramp, I'd have thrown my poncho on over the top.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yup! Not quite as cardboardy, but still not too dissimilar. The weave is quite tight and the material is relatively thick. It copes with brambles well. Bang for buck, they are hard to beat and can be modified colour wise, addition of knitted cuffs (old socks are good for that and can extend the arms by an inch or two) replacement of cardboard/plastic buttons (dependant on age of smock I'd assume) with some nice antler or bone buttons, the list goes on.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I've just seen in my local Army & Navy Store in Poole what looks like a zip-front combat jacket in olive green, plenty of bellows pockets and a hood. It'll need proofing but the material is the same as the Endicotts smock. It was reduced to £30 and they had a number of sizes.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'll add my vote for a swedish snow smock, excellent piece of kit, love mine, wear it all the time out in the woods, or occasionally skulking under flight lines with the massive pockets stuffed full of 12bore cartridges. Its really snug with the hood up too, i like the cut of the underarms too, they have an extra dart of material to allow you to raise your arms with out lifting the smock around your body.

My only concern is where will I get a replacement when I wear this one out? The surplus supplies can't last for ever. Might have to get a copy made in heavy ventile, with an extra chest pocket above the draw string :D

Going to have to make wooden buttons for it though.

Andy

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
Ehhhh....the Endicott smock looks alright, but I'd recommend a Fjallraven Nordli anorak in G1000. It has four large pockets, is tough as nails, nylon mesh lined and in my opinion, is very nearly equal to Ventile. And it's half the price. Oh, and it dries fast to boot.

Cheers,

Adam

seconded on the nordli: i bought one (on here) and sold my ventile because of it, far more stylish, more breathable, lighter and faster drying, but barely showerproof.

great jacket

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Can anyone advise me on the type of dye they used (OD finnish would be good)

Does the garment need any prep for the dying etc

How large is a large? I am 6ft tall with a 44" chest

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE