Smock question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
At one time you could get a (rough) copy of the dennison in ventile, from ebay - a Romanian seller I think. Not seen anything else similar though (i assume you are after a plain olive green etc - otherwise there are lots of options for reproduction camo versions on the net).

For potential consideration would be a reproduction WW2 sas/windproof smock - these have 4 patch pockets and a hood, and are typically available in a sand/khaki colour. I have a silvermans reproduction (albeit in the ww2 brush camo), and its a cracking bit of kit, with a rustic style.

This is of course assuming that you are considering a purchase - otherwise if you are making, then sorry - I've not made anything too similar!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have made a couple of Smocks based on the '60s SAS smock ...
P7230001.jpg
This one is in cotton cambric but I have also made waxed cotton and windproof (Ventile ish) cotton.
I cut the pattern to fit my somewhat unusual build ...

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Easy to buy a cheap DPM para smock and use it as a pattern just fit a half zip..

Its the same cut as the denison just make the pockets flat instead of baggy.

Twodogs

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I'm still looking for someone to make me up a couple of SAS smocks, have the snow camo material. At some point I will have to hunt someone down, just a bit busy this moment in time.
Shout if interested/can do/game on. Happy to pay a bit, or do a swop, but hobby, for the fun of it, terms. Want two but might go four, which I know starts to be work rather than fun.
Anyway, anyone?

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I have 8m of this:
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/foxa-viking-fabric-m05-snow-camo-by-the-metre/51570

They do these smocks and trousers but they are very voluminous to go over extreme cold insulated clothing. I have a set and a full Snugpak Ebony jacket suit hardly fills them. For that they are the right cut.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-tst-m05-snow-camo-jacket/51901

On a sunny snowy day then a normal cut would be more useful, so thats what I'm trying for if I can find someone to do them. SAS smock and windproof trousers would be perfect. In terms of camouflage then snow trousers are almost more important for when there is snow on the ground and not on the trees.
Anyhow, thought it would be fun.

This how effective this stuff is:
[video=youtube;-T2c-GsikKs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T2c-GsikKs[/video]

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Thank you All.
It is the half zip effect I am after.
May look at back engineering a jacket to make an OG one.:thankyou:

If I was doing a similar project I would probably do this as well.

Start with an Olive Green SAS or PCS jacket, sew the pockets flat and sew the zip flap down to the required length. I see the original had woolen or button cuffs, personal prefence for me would be button/velcro, I like to be able to ventilate up my sleeves.

I can imagine to have one made up would cost a fair bit. The shop I got my plain colour PCS jacket from said they would never bother again, even the Chinese factory who made them said they are the slowest selling design.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE