Smelly wool blanket.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
After hearing about the quality of italian army wool blankets I managed to source one in brand new condition. The problem is it Smells horrible; its a strange smell hard to describe!!!

Whatever they treated it with when it was stored smells bad!
I have tried the dry cleaners which only slightly reduced the smell, then I tried leaving it hung out in the loft for a few days to air off. This didn't do that much either.

ital wool.jpgItalianArmyWoolBlanket.jpg

Does anyone have any other ideas of things I could try?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I had some of the same blankets from the group buy last year and yup, they sure did reek.

All I did with mine was leave them out to air on the washing line in all weathers for about 2 or 3 weeks until the smell disappeared.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Do you get much air circulating in your loft?

Like Mesquite, I had mine draped over a bush for the duration of the moot and followed that with a week or so hanging on the washing line at home.

I think you need to get some air through yours.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the only way is to let the chemicals slowly, and it is slow, it's meant to be, it's a miasma that protects agin moths, 'evaporate'. Sun, rain and wind will shift most of it, eventually.

cheers,
Toddy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i had a few of these, the best way i found to get rid of the lovely mothball smell was to put it in a warm tumble drier for a while, the heat seams to help release the chemicals a bit quicker

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea :)

Did the tumbler smell okay afterwards ? The antimothball smell would do my head in if I could smell it on the towels and my clothes.

cheers,
M

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
the smell is moth balls i no what you mean about the smell lol hang it out on the line in the fresh air i left mine out day and night for five days and the smell went :)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
the chemical breaks down in sunlight i had mine out for 3 days and they only smelled faintly of it afterwards

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Good idea :)

Did the tumbler smell okay afterwards ? The antimothball smell would do my head in if I could smell it on the towels and my clothes.

cheers,
M

not really sure to be honest mary, i used an old tumble drier that was waiting to be thrown away.......and then threw it away when i'd done. not a great deal of help, sorry

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Thanks for the replies guys, i think id be divorced if i put it in the dryer!
I thought there was enough circulation in the loft, but must not be the case.

I think outside it is then!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
not really sure to be honest mary, i used an old tumble drier that was waiting to be thrown away.......and then threw it away when i'd done. not a great deal of help, sorry

Oh I don't know.....it seems to work :D :cool: One to remember. Might be worth pestering Kev at Endictt's to acquire one of the big laundrette driers and he could charge a small premium for 'mothball smell removed' blankets :D

cheers,
M

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Bought two at the last/only group buy. Hung them outside for the duration of the moot, sprinkled well with welsh sunshine. then hung them out to dry for 6 days at home. Love my blankets, just a fint hint of a smell, enough to keep them moth free. Nicer and in better condition than any blankets I've had before. I bought them to make a cloak, but they are too nice to cut up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE