Smallest Usable Knife Blade Design??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not something I have much experience of but I'm interested currently in what is the smallest Blade design that can be usable and efficient for general tasks or snuck away to be used in times of emergency.

So small blade designs - you guys ( and gals ) got 'em? show me please!!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have a Spyderco Honeybee, and use it fairly often. Great for small cutting tasks, and it fits easily on a keyring. The Bug is even smaller, but too small for my hands.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My edc necker, the tick bite, in this pic, from Calvin Richardson. Great little utility blade. 154CM steel.

newerknives1b.jpg

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I have a Cold Steel 'Urban Pal' in the bimble bag that's small but very usable. The serrated chisel grind is a pain to sharpen but it does make for a rather good skinner/scraper/necker. As for the T handle I loathe it, something more suited for tool use than weapon would of made this a far nicer bit of kit. I tend to hold the blade as one would a flint flake between thumb & forefinger.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1603.jpg
    IMAG1603.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 345
  • 43LS_m.jpg
    43LS_m.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 357

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I use a Jacklore Whisp. Will probably get the Wasp too as the handle is a little longer making it easier to hold.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 334

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Gerber Ridge fine edge

1⅝" straight edge, 4½" overall, one (right) handed opening, frame lock, pocket/moneyclip on back.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GerberRidge1.jpg
    GerberRidge1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 322
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Extremely useful for nothing specific are Poundlands spare Stanley Knife Blades. 5 Pence each, come supplied in two useful and safe plastic containers each about the size of a cigarette lighter. 20 scalpel sharp 2.5 inch blades for a quid. they don't look pretty but they are genuinely useful carries.

D.B.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a Cold Steel 'Urban Pal' in the bimble bag that's small but very usable. The serrated chisel grind is a pain to sharpen but it does make for a rather good skinner/scraper/necker. As for the T handle I loathe it, something more suited for tool use than weapon would of made this a far nicer bit of kit. I tend to hold the blade as one would a flint flake between thumb & forefinger.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Push daggers are illegal in the UK - I'm guessing you're overseas. :)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a BRKT Mikro Canadian and it's a very handy knife.

Surprising how much can be done with a small blade. I think the trick is not to over compromise on the handle length. The Mikro is a three finger handle but the fob extends it out to a four finger handle that's flexible! :D

The mikro is the black handled one.
3andahalfamigos.jpg

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have 2, a small flat grind made by Chevin over on BB, but the new kid on the block which in my opinion is better, is a pnk1 by Mark Hill.
However, as DB has said, I carried a Stanley blade taped under a belt for many years as an emergency item.

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Define "usable"! :)
I regularly use the small blade on my SAK and even the blade on my Leatherman Micra gets a fair bit of use - but neither gets used for heavy jobs!
The smallest fixed blade knife I use on a regular basis is one I made from a Lidl paring knife and on a couple of occassions I have used that for splitting rounds of wood for firewood!
002 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
020 (2014_12_24 05_44_15 UTC).jpg
011 (2015_01_01 06_41_25 UTC).jpg
Initial cuts/splits made with the knife - then wedges carved with the knife!
0005 use the small knife to make a small split.jpg
0006 smack the wedge into the small split with the maul.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE