SMallest, lightest, cheapest sleeping bag rated to +5 degrees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Down or synthetic.

Open to suggestions really. Looked at the Alpkit one with the armholes, but I might not be carrying a down jacket in the heights of summer.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Down or synthetic.

Open to suggestions really. Looked at the Alpkit one with the armholes, but I might not be carrying a down jacket in the heights of summer.
Think thats the Skyehigh 200? If so it's only half a bag, coming up to the waist. No arm holes at all...

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Think thats the Skyehigh 200? If so it's only half a bag, coming up to the waist. No arm holes at all...

That would be the PipeDream 200, and it does have arm holes even though it's only half a bag ;)
Unfortunally Alpkit stopped selling the Skyehigh 200 a while ago, would buy one if they sold them now though...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
What about the Highlander Ranger Lite range? They really are Spring/Summer only bags, but nice and small, light and cost around the £20 mark.
I have one and use it during the warm months, when it's absolutely fine.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been using an Vango Ultralite 700 for Spring and Summer for quite a few years now. It's rated at a two season bag so should be good to around 6*c I reckon.

Packs down ridiculously small

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Does "cheapest" go together with smallest and lightest ?

That's like a quote from the early days of mountainbiking by (I think) the bike designer Ritchey

"Strong, light, cheap - pick two"

Generally small + light = expensive :D

Rat

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Sainty.

Cheers for that. It says it's a down bag, is this correct?

However, I've found what seems to be the best contender so far in the Vango Venom 150. I'll have to have a look at some reviews first before I pretend to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VANGO-VENOM-1...tingGoods_SleepingBags_SM?hash=item53dc0db1c8

Hi Nickliv

Unbelievably, it is a down bag. I haven't had a down bag for over 25 years and I'd forgotten how light they were.

I haven't slept out in mine yet but having tried it out indoors, it certainly lofts up nicely and I can feel the heat building up. It remains to be seen what it will be like at 0400 in a tent on the moor but I'm optimisitic that it will be value for money.

Hey, for that price, it's got to be worth a punt.

Martin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Would you be able to put a pic up Martin, showing it packed would be useful.

A couple of pals are after something similar and I've been harping on about down to them, the price has put them off so far. These look great if they perform as well as they claim.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Would you be able to put a pic up Martin, showing it packed would be useful.

A couple of pals are after something similar and I've been harping on about down to them, the price has put them off so far. These look great if they perform as well as they claim.

No worries Rich. Here it is on the scales with my water bottle for scale.

P1010812.jpg

Hope this helps

Martin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Perfick thanks Martin

You say yours are from the previous range, how are they different to the ones on the link ?

Have you had chance to have a play yet ?

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Perfick thanks Martin

You say yours are from the previous range, how are they different to the ones on the link ?

Have you had chance to have a play yet ?

Truth be told, I don't know how they differ, except that they were only £24 and the price has now gone up. The temperature rating seems to be the same, the colour is different but the weight seems pretty much similar.

Hopefully, I'll be trying it out during the first weekend in February in my hammock, although I will be using it like a quilt as I will be using my underblanket then. I'll also be using it in a tent on Dartmoor before the end of February, which will be a better test I believe. It really is very light, but then it should be being down filled.

I'll be sure to post a full review when I've done both trips.

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE