Smaller handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
At a bushcraft course we were issued Frosts Mora 760 knives.
These are very fine knives, but the handle is somewhat too big for a comfortable grip for my girlfriend.
One option is of course to reduce its size with file and sandpaper and I'll happily have a go at that, but I'd like to know: are there similar knives with smaller handles, suitable for a woman's hands?

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Recommend you buy her an old-fashion wood handle carbon steel Mora - I think they're still pretty cheap on evil-bay - rather than do a load of work re-shaping your present knife. I find these lovely little knives with quite a small handle, plus, being wood they should be easy to sand down if you need to re-shape. See some old threads for modifications, too, like burning off the paint etc.
Cheers, Ted W

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As Ted says a frost Classic No1 or similiar would be Ok or a clipper 840/860 as they are smaller tahn teh 760 but the No1 is smaller than the clipper.

Look HERE for examples but you should be able to get them in teh Netherlands.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Ignore what I said about e-bay, :eek:I was in living the Netherlands myself (Limburg, the mountainous bit!) when that PC bullshine forbidding the sale of knives was enacted. But you can still get them cheaply elsewhere.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
If you really care for your girlfriend you could always splash out on a Fallkniven WM1 for the little woman. Excellent knife, small handle and razor sharp. Bought my wife one a couple of years ago and she loves it. Shame because so do I.
Cheers, Riven.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
opinel? cheap, but what will its use be?

Ah yes, its use, I should have mentioned that... whittling (pot hangers and similar camp furniture), food preparation, skinning. No felling trees, no 'my life depends on it' survival, just bushcraft.
She prefers a fixed knife.
We've looked into your suggestions, and they all seem excellent. There's a cutlery shop nearby here selling most of them so we'll take a look (and feel) there soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE