Small welding job?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
not long back I aquired a more suitable stainless steel serving bowl thingy

gris1.jpg

to convert into a grisset for dipping rushes.

It is 16.5" by 6" by 2" deep and just requires some stubby little legs wellding on it as well as something on a long side I can fit a handle to. The legs only need to be long enough to get a few night lights underneath to keep the tallow from solidifying once it has been melted.

Unfortunately I can't weld and do not have access to the right gear. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Tom

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Could you not just drill a hole in each corner and put a nut and bolt through so it would stand on the 4 bolts as leggs ?

cheers Russ

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi.
Making a stand/legs from bolts or bent wire sound like the easy option, as from memory stainless is very hard to weld compared to ordinary steel, as it is not a ferrous metal in the way basic steel is.

For those of you who are not convinced by that, just take any stainless item around the house and hold a magnet to it...It wont cling.

Oh, if it does, then it is not proper stainless.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just take it to a local light engineering shop and get it welded, austenetic stainless is as easy of maybe even simpler to weld than mild steel.
It has a greater thermal expansion co-efficiency but that won't really matter.for that job.
You could also get it brazed.

Austenetic stainless is non magnetic, but there are other stainless steels that are magnetic and they are usually the ones that are used for knifemaking as they are hardenable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE