small, *tough* blade for whittling and carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I finally got round to doing some whittling again. Knob/handle broken off lid of saucepan, so I decided to make a replacement with some yew I had lying around.

Now this stuff has seasoned for about 2 years. It is iron hard.

I have a dave budd hook knife and a mora frost 120. Using them I realised that the mora is a tad long when whittling such hard wood - too often I was close to catching my left hand with the tip. Dave's hook knife did good duty but I've ground it a bit thin for such hard wood (sorry, Dave).

I'd quite like to get a small, very tough straight blade. Needs to be tougher than a mora 106 since I nearly always end up working with seasoned wood.

Recommendations, please

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I did head over to Dave's website but he doesn't seem to be doing the sort of small blade I'm after.

Perhaps I'll have to have a go at making one myself when I get my workshop set up.

Ben Orford makes blades of just the right size and shape but I really don't like his handles. Far too fat adjacent to the blade.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I did head over to Dave's website but he doesn't seem to be doing the sort of small blade I'm after.

As Monkieman said Dave will make you a blade to your exact specifications.

Also he doesn't always list all the blades he has in stock on his website so drop him a PM and see what he says.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I don't have very much on my website compared to what I ACTUALLY make ;) Mostly because I would rather be making the things than swearing at the computer!

If you would like me to make you a blade to your spec, then you only have to ask :D I'll be making a bunch of whittling blades, spoon hooks and the like next week as it goes

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
When you have a whittling blade made up, I'd love to see a pic.

You hook knife cuts very very well and the curve makes it very versatile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE