small survival tin fixed blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Playing again with the pocket sized survival kit consept and would like to try out a small fixed blade.

I've several small folders in mind and for completeness would like to try a fixed or 2.

Anyone have any ideas or know of a maker who could make something up based on one of my designs?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Duncan (fgyt) at dorset woodland blades does some dandy little knives,and one offs. or look through english handmade knives or moonraker for a tiny blade blank?

I have used Columbia River Knife and Tool's (CRKT) Ritter RSK MK5. The knife was designed by Doug Ritter in collaboration with others. Doug is a survival equipment consultant here in the US.

Since the knife is mass produced, it is reasonably priced ($17.95 = £13.52?) and includes a tin. I purchased one to experiment with and like it. The blade is much smaller than an equivalent folder. Also, to use the knife, you "extend" the handle using the attached cordage and plastic "lock."

Here are the specs:

Blade: Length: 1.75"
Thickness: 0.12"
Steel: 3Cr13, 52-55 HRC
Knife: Overall length: 3.81"
Weight: 0.9 oz.
RSK Mk5 Sheath: (included with knife)
Material: Zytel
Length: 2.25"
Width: 1.47"
Weight: 0.3 oz.

The MK5 seems very robust. But I decided to carry a folder in my PSK. I wanted the longer blade length and decided I wouldn't use a knife that small for heavy tasks. I currently use a folder in my PSK. But I waiver between the more robust fixed blade and the longer blade of a folder.

Hope this helps!

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
I could make you up something based on your designs...as long as you are over 18 and want something made out of O1 tool steel, smallest stuff I have is 3 mm thick and 25mm wide, 500 mm long but I don't imagine you want anything that long.
Let me know.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Not sure, depends how big it is, I am thinking you would want something small enough to fit in an altoid tin, no sheath and no handle material, just steel.
That will not be too bad.

sharpangle

Sep 2, 2015
N Ireland
Check out the Buck Smidgen or Hartsook. Same knife just different steels. 4.25 inches in total length. The Hartsook is s30v and a very capable tool. Will fit in a small tin inside it's cleverly designed sheath.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
How small ? I have tried pencil sharpener blades but to fiddly, folding blade wise spyderco bug ,small an cheap .

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I have used Columbia River Knife and Tool's (CRKT) Ritter RSK MK5.

I had a play with one recently and seems a bit overpriced for the steel you get

Check out the Buck Smidgen or Hartsook. Same knife just different steels. 4.25 inches in total length. The Hartsook is s30v and a very capable tool. Will fit in a small tin inside it's cleverly designed sheath.

Tried one of these too a while back, it wasn't half bad and would have considered it again until I saw the current price

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE