Small sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
I already have Spyderco Tri-Angle. However, I would like another considerably smaller and lighter sharpener that I could carry without thinking it took too much space and its weight was too much.
Any recommendations?
I like to make the blade razor sharp. I know there is not much point of having it razor sharp in woods, but, well, I do not intend to be in a survival situation.
I found some information in "Equipped to Survive" forum that X- shaped sharpeners may scratch the blade, so I do not think they will do, even though I know you can put the edge on the knife pretty quickly using X shaped sharpeners.
Regards,

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The other day my mate's dad showed me his Swiss Army KNife sharpener. It is a finger size block of alloy about 3 mms thick. In the end is about 1cm of sharpening stuff. Don't know what it is made of but it is hard yet looks like graphite. Works a treat! Just a few strokes restores an edge. Cost about £12 I think, alth9ough I can't find anything like it on Google!

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
gerber pocket sharpener every time. works wonders on all my blades, next to no weight and fit anywhere you got an inch of room, well, nearly

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I love my Falkniven DC4. I've just sharpened a batch of about 40 swiss army knives bought of e-bay with mine. Wonderful bit of kit.

Dave

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
I currently use a "hoodoo hone" with hard rubber glued to one side and a strop glued to the other. The dimensions are 3.9 x 14.7 x 1.3 cm. The weight is 52 g (1.75 oz). This weight includes five extra sheets of sandpaper (of varying grits, some duplication) and the ziploc bag I use to carry everything. I use this for all my sharpening; convex ground, flat ground, hollow ground.
Steve

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I think a mini hoodoo style hone is great as it gives you lots of grits without much more space. I'm not a fan of the gerber pocket sharpeners or the small victorinox stones (my norton one is much better IMO). Some people find the tiny diamond coated sharpening hones easier to hold and use the a small stone Buck makes one but you can get ones that are at least as good for less (or you can near me).

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
For a small portable sharpener you can doa hell of a lot worse than a DMT Mini Hone or Mini Sharp. The Mini Hones weigh next to nothing, are virtually unbreakable and they make a great job of touching up an edge in the field. For finer edged knives you would want the green "Extra Fine", but for general use you should find the red "Fine" does all you are likely to ask of it.
I recently make a new sheath for a big bowie and included a space for a Mini Hone (with a cut-down handle) inside the sheath. So light and small that you never know it's there until you want it.

Look for Mini Hones and Mini Sharps at

http://www.starkiesharp.com/dmt_home_page.html

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
I always carry a Gerber mini sharpener with all my large SAKs, attached with a lanyard. A couple of swipes on the fine side instantly restores a good edge.

If I have my fixed blades then the DC4 is always in my top pocket.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE