Small pocket knife sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi everyone been away from forum for a while as just had 2nd child but want to get right into bushcraft , I have some bits of kit but require a bit yet like a rucksack etc, I am 25 now and want to start going out and learning etc, anyway this post is about a knife sharpener I am wanting a small one I could always pack into rucksack seen good reviews on dc4 think it's on bushcraft store and I know the spyderco set is good but that's for home use, I have never sharpened a knife before and want something relatively small and portable to practice at work and on the go

Any help or opinions welcome
Thanks dean

Thanks Dean

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Hi mate.
Have you had a look at the blade tech sharpener?
I have one and I've found them easy to use and they give a good edge on a blade.
Small and light to carry too.

I will say however that iv read on a Facebook Bush craft group that some do not rate them.
One bloke said that he "would not let one any were near his Bush craft knife" but said he did use them on his kitchen knives.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,

Must say I'm with Richard on the BladeTech front. While I have various stones and kits for sharpening everything from swords, axes, to serrated knives I always have a BladeTech on my key-ring and one in my possibles pouch.

When I first saw one being demonstrated I was unjustly dismissive to the girl giving the demo at the game fair, but they are actually a light, good, always with you and cheap (£9.99) way to keep a blade sharp in the field. And they're darn easy to use too.

One of the better value for money bits of kit I own. I'll still always have and use my bigger,more expensive kits at home or in a base camp, but for out on a wander when the Opinel or whatever EDC I have with me is need a quick sharpen it's the wee BladeTech I turn to.

Hope this helps and no doubt you'll get a heap of other suggestions too.:eek:

ATB,
GB.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Hi Deano, the bladetech sharpener would be ok on a kitchen knife or a swiss army knife or any knife that is not a scandi grind. Most "bushcraft" knives are scandi ground that do not have the short secondary bevel that the blade tech type sharpeners are designed for.
I use a DC3 on my Mora and woodlore clone "in the field" but have used it on my SAK and mum in laws kitchen knives, at home I have a range of stones available and a Tormek grinder (due to my trade) so spoilt for choice.
The DC4 is a bit bigger than the DC3 but same type and construction, for my money and not knowing what knife blade type you own, I would pack something like that for both quality and versatility.

Rob.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for all the opinions everyone, I own a load of multitool Swiss army knifes etc and own a gerber Lmf 2 and to be honest have a slight obsession with knifes and always want more lol, want to start actually putting them to use though out in bushcraft, looking forward to getting kit together and start learning, been to brockwell wood a few times but just with mates so didn't do any proper bushcraft ing just filled car with everything and then tents up really, I would like to use tarp and bivi eventually anyway as said just want a small pack able sharpener , out at the minute but will have a look at the suggesting a when get home and then start watching how to vids lol, will practice on kitchen knifes, the stones last a lifetime don't they with only occasional use ?

Also just had a quick look and wanted a stone like the dc4 rather than the bladetech seem some reviews and seems good

Thanks again dean

Thanks Dean

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Read what Fraxinus wrote again carefully as there is some very good advice for beginners in there :)

If it's mainly Gerbers, Saks and multi tools you have then chances are the Bladetec thing mentioned below would be perfect for you....if you have scandi grind bushy type knives then a dc3 or 4 would be better :)

Hope that helps matey :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
In my experiance it's trial and error between different knives and different sharpeners for instance my main fixed blades are all convex which I can get a extremely sharp edge on full size wet stones but hav always struggled with small sharpeners including the dc4, again some of my pocket knives sharpen well on the dc4 but some won't, I once tried a pocket gerber sharpener but the angle of the sharpener never came even close to the angle of any of my knives, my mate has one of the sharpening rods that looks just like A fire steel and he loves it for all his knives

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE