Small Leather Pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi all,

I recieved some leatherworking tools from Mr Claus this Christmas and today set about making my first item out of leather.

I only had some thin (2mm) and rather soft leather that I got from a friend that makes gloves for hawk people (Appologies but i don't know the correct term for them) so decided to make a small pouch to keep either some tinder or to use as a pocket sized possibilities pouch.

I thought, for my first ever attempt at stiching leather I did ok and am rather chuffed with it, although I can see areas where I could improve it for next time.

Before i post the pictures I would like to also say a big thank you to George for sending me the antler peices. It was most kind of you. Thanks. :You_Rock_

TinderPouch1.jpg

TinderPouch2.jpg

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
congratulations mate, the things you make yourself always mean more than anything bought, no matter how well made it is.

I`ve been interested in working with leather for a while, i have breifly been taught skinning and tanning. What tools do you need to work leather well?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I am very much a novice so rang and spoke to a/the lady at Le Prevo and asked what I would need for a basic kit and got just a basic stiching kit of pricking wheel, awl, needles, thread, beeswax, stiching groove (which i didnt use on this peice as the leather was so soft.

I could also do with an edge bevel but need to get one of these at a later date as santa only had a small budget for leather tools :lmao:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one Andy, we must have thought along similar lines, i made mine to keep my leather work tools in, also tried a bit of embossing, just got to finish it off with some sort of catch/retainer to keep the flap in place.

Pouch.jpg

Emboss.jpg

Mark

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It's a bought stamp Andy, got it out in the States from Tandy Leather, they have an outlet in the UK, but cannot remeber what they are called though :confused:

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Nice work Andy and Mark.

A real inspiration and a good kick up the :buttkick: as i have some leather projects of my own i must complete but have to get some leather and the tools.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Here is a suggestion: next time you make this style, try to extend the front piece of leather an extra inch or so past the folding point, this way when you fold it over it kind of locks your material in. These are the kind of pockets we have on our military clothes here. The extra inch folded over will help keep material from falling out of the corner where the two pieces of leather meet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE