Small Holding on Arran - OTG (nearly)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
OK, I wasn't sure where to post this as its not an advert but rather just an attempt to draw this to the attention of members on the lookout for an "Off The Grid" property.

I am currently house hunting on Arran and this place caught my eye so we decided to take a look. The small holding has a lot of potential. Its basically 5/6 reasonable size fields, with plenty of woodland surrounding the property, a burn running through the land with small brook trout. As well as the land there is also a decent sized duck pond and a larger fishing pond stocked with trout. It works out to be around 52 acres in all.

The house is a small but well proportioned 3 bedroomed wooden Swiss style chalet with a balcony from the master bedroom. Could do with a freshen up but it seems solid enough. It has a wood burning stove and an oil fired Aga for heating. Its bright and airy on the inside but could do with a redecorate and a spruce up. There are some well proportioned solid looking, maintained out buildings and sheds with loads of potential. The farm hasn't had beasts on it for 4 years now as they had been planning on leaving for some time but before that had rare breed cows.

Apart from the phone line the property is completely off grid. Power is supplied by a generator (there is a back up genny also) and battery bank. This runs through an inverter to supply the house and sheds with 240V. IMO solar panels and/or a wind turbine would be a wise addition. The water comes from within the property and the sewage is via a septic tank. Access is by a well maintained forestry road and the nearest neighbour is only about a third of a mile away but doesn't overlook the property.

While I was there I saw deer skirting the woodland but plenty of tracks in the soft ground around the property. There was also a few pigeon and pheasants kicking about. Plenty of rabbit/hare evidence and also wild ducks.

I could see potential for a few different activities that would put the land to good use. I could picture a great bushcraft site there, glamping, field sports centre, even a petting zoo. It would also make a very nice smallholding as the buildings are already there for cattle. They also indicated they have a load of farm machinery up for grabs too at a nice cheap price. They would be happy to do a deal on a job lot.

We have decided it would be too far out for our daughter and a shame to change her schools as she is loving her current one. It would also be a bit too much if my missus gets called out to the north of the island on an emergency case. So we have turned our attention to more central locations.

I think the current owners would take a sensible offers for the place as they want to move back to the mainland to be close to the family.

If it sounds good then have a look here:

http://www.bellingram.co.uk/properties/show/265

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
heh, we paid just shy of that that for our 1 acre smallholding in Devon. At the time I couldn't persuade my wife we should look at Wales or Scotland. Now she keeps looking at Welsh properties...

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Aye I know what you all mean, if it wasn't for my daughters schooling and the missus being on call, this would be a perfect opportunity. The distance to the top of the island isn't far but if you have to factor in the poor state of Arran's roads and then a 2 mile forest track to negotiate it makes a drive to Lochranza take about an hour, where as from our current location its about 30 mins. I think if we had seen this in a few years time then we would probably have jumped at the chance. It ticks nearly every box for our ideal lifestyle.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its the combination of acres and outbuildings (plus no mains services) that would make it work for us - definitely needs some coppice and a wind turbine though. Sadly where it is rules it out.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
just to put this into some context, there's a 100 acre farm for sale just up the road from us (admittedly with a lot of top grade grazing land) but to get it you'd need to put a 1 in front of the £275k.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
If I had the money, I would currently be driving north to arrange a viewing. This is my ideal type of property and lifestyle.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Think I know that place(up the track by Kilmory Water?). It marked the beginnings of civilization at the far end of the ride from Lamlash - I'd turn back just before it as a kid to avoid meeting anyone.

Looks like a nice spread and yeah, it's nicely out the way.
Am pals with folk who lived for years another few miles up the track - now that was remote...

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Aye its not far off. My favourite walk of late is from Dyemill, via Glenashdale falls up to Giants Graves and back. Now I'm going to try the walk from Dyemill up to Kilmory and round past the farm and back. Wonderful scenery and a variety of flora and fauna. I never even knew the tracks were linked until I drove up there.

And yes it is pretty remote:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE