small hands/small knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

You may be just as well buying the blade and putting a handle on it, there are plenty of choices of Pukko style blade out there, or you could buy the WM1 blade blank.

Another option is the BM210 Activator, this knife has a small handle, if you are at the BCUK meet I will bring one along so that you can try it :)

Finally you could always get someone to put a handle on a knife for you, get a peice of dowelling and whittle it down to the rough size and shape that you want and send it to said maker so that they have a rough idea of what you are talking about :)

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
I have a handmade knife by Magnus Hjelmgren ('JKD' over on BB) you are welcome to have a look at Toddy. It was made by Magnus to try out some techniques and he sold it to me very cheaply some time back. It is a classic scandi design in curly birch with a spacer and a Helle blade, decorated with some filework. The sheath is a rough one he knocked up to complete the knife.

In a photo it looks just like any other mid size scandi, but it is about two thirds the size you might expect and the handle is small and slim. Too small for me, to be honest (I'm 6' 2").

I can't give you the dimensions at work but I'll happily post it if you would like a look and if you like it you can make me an offer!

;)

Danzo

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Toddy,

How you getting on with this?

I've got a Bark River Knife & Tool Mini Canadian and a Dave Barker custom you can try if you want to compare some more.

pm me if you do but it'll have to be before the weekend as I'll be away on hols.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello,
Thanks to everone who has offered me knives to trial and good advice.
Andy kindly sent me a Mora classic (red handle) which fits my grip perfectly and the blade is a good size for edc too. :) I've got three other knives to try out and a further four on hold and three suggestions/recommendations/addresses for custom makers too.
Frankly my, all male, family are looking rather worried :D 'specially when the panga arrived (I'd ordered a new billhook :confused: )
I had no idea that there were so many different permutations of tangs/blades/grinds/high carbon v stainless steel/grips, etc., out there. I'm hoping to get enough familiarity with the knives I've been offered to trial so that when I go the the N. Scottish minimeet I can ask questions and make sense of it all.
I have always been used to carrying just one knife, but the more I read on the forum the more it seems that people carry multiple knives around with them.

Danzo & Stew, may I add your knives to the, "Thank you, an excellent offer & very much appreciated, but can I get back to you on this a little later when I've finished playing with the ones I've got just now? :) " list.

Cheers,
Toddy

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I just cracked up reading that toddy. I have visions of them all coming through the letter box and a postman feeling very light after carrying it to your house.
Rambo would be proud of you. :eek: Anyway glad you like the knife, I hated it for the same reasons you like it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Andy said:
I just cracked up reading that toddy. I have visions of them all coming through the letter box and a postman feeling very light after carrying it to your house.
Rambo would be proud of you. :eek: Anyway glad you like the knife, I hated it for the same reasons you like it.

:) Funny enough the Postie asked Gavin this morning if we were building an extension for all the stuff he was delivering :D :rolleyes:

I do like the little Mora classic Andy, and I thought the Johnson's was a very *unusual* choice :eek: Practical, if a little unexpected ;)
Cheers,
Toddy

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Toddy said:
Danzo & Stew, may I add your knives to the, "Thank you, an excellent offer & very much appreciated, but can I get back to you on this a little later when I've finished playing with the ones I've got just now? :) " list.

You certainly may but just to show you what you're missing....

Bark River Knife & Tool Mini Canadian, OMF & Mikro Canadian:
3andahalfamigos.jpg

Dave Barker Custom:
Dave1.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Stew :)

:D Very nice......it's back to that multiple knife thing again, isn't it?
I'm starting to think I may need a bandolier ;)
Cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Stew said:
You certainly may but just to show you what you're missing....

Bark River Knife & Tool Mini Canadian, OMF & Mikro Canadian:
3andahalfamigos.jpg
They look very nice Stew, What's the handle on the OMF?

Cheers

Mark

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
It's a good idea not to get them all at once Toddy; I've done that with britishblades passarounds and my brain just goes into 'new knife overload' and I just sit there dribbling like a loon.

:D

Drop me a PM if and when you do want to see the knife. Or anyone else who wants to see a small slim handmade scandi for that matter.

Danzo

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Buckshot said:
It is gorgeous!

Yep!

Buckshot said:
You handled it yourself then?

Oh no.

Buckshot said:
Do you buy the knife as a blank?

Kinda.

Let me explain.

The knife was produced as the forum knife of Outdoors-Magazine.com in association with BRKT and input form forum members. A lot of people expressed interest in having the knives without any scales so they could handle them in the way they wanted.

I chose to have one handled in the Elder and one bare. The bare one was originally destined to go to Australia for it's new clothes (I'm sure you've seen some of Oupa's work) but funds are a bit tight at the moment so it'll have to wait. I may end up handling it myself eventually, but either way I shall have it extended as a 4 finger knife (originally it's a 3) with a slightly shortened blade to have a bit of variety between the 2.

T

theorsmeister

I can understand that being a problem, but just coz u've got small hands, doesnt mean u have to go budget.

Someone else may have mentioned this, i havent read them all but my advice is to get a normal knife, possibly a puuko, they arent too large and if the handle is too big, take it in by filing and sanding and then refinsih, you could get a professional to do it, but its not too hard.

Hope that'll help!!

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Toddy

Just picked up thread - or you'd have had another half dozen to try! ( let me know )

Somehow or other managed to acquire a broad selection of cutlery. Most of it orientated to Deer Stalking use.

I have a Helle Eggen ( actually better halfs ) and the earlier model - Pan. Very light but tough knives. Birch handle responds wonderfully to sandpaper ( OK I'll admit it - or Dremel ). The guys at JLS are first rate ( qualified as a Brummy before moving to the promised land ) and I recommend them highly. ( Just wish my Tikka bits still came from them! )

I did like the look of your opening option - The Runt. Though marketing wise, they really need to rethink the naming of some of these things!

As with rifles and many things, using a tool like a knife is very much down to confidence. 'If it feels right, it is' .

Think you have taken an incredibly wise approach - have a good idea what basics you want, canvass opinion ( taken under advisement ) and get your hands on as many as possible in the calm ( I assume! ) of your own place.

I wish you well - enjoy the search and do feed back how it goes.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

Sorry this a little off subject but does anyone know the size of an Allan Blade bushcrafter handle. Thinking of getting one but I have the same problem as Toddy.

Thanks.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Ed W said:
Hi,

Sorry this a little off subject but does anyone know the size of an Allan Blade bushcrafter handle. Thinking of getting one but I have the same problem as Toddy.

Thanks.
Ed, in old money the handle is four and half inches long, three and three quarter inches in diameter at the "widest" part. So approximatley 11.5cm long and 9.5cm in diameter. Remeber the handle is quite shaped. All meausremtnes taken with a tape measure so no great accuracy can be expected.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE