Small food flask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Winter is coming and I'm wanting to take some hot food with me on the fells - stoves are not an option as it's access land and they aren't allowed.

Has anybody got any recommendations? I've tried my life venture cup but it goes cold after 4 hours.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
stainless steel Stanley food flasks, they got good reviews, so I bought one, on line cost me £25, keeps food warm for up to 16 hours I think was their their claim... up against brand leader thermos (& others) of all flasks tested Stanley food flasks did the best for keeping food hotest for the longest time... & to be fair after warming first, it did keep my soup piping hot for up to 10 hrs, I used it for work it worked well for about 6 months then over night it suddenly stopped working, (ie. not a gradual breakdown) 5 hours in my soup was almost stone cold a very noticeable difference.... I also used it for cooking Rice (bring it to the boil soak for an hour) & for raw dried broth mix, soaking overnight it would be cooked ready to eat in the morning & still warm.... (heat & eat) I had seen the ones in tescos & was almost tempted??? Has any one else had a similar experience with Stanley food flasks breaking down???

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's out of guarantee Alan can you unscrew it and clean it up ? (the inner flask, if it's double walled glass needs handled like a light bulb). I rescued one of my ordinary flasks by doing that; the neck seal had become misaligned and tbh it was stained with tannin and looking rather dingy. It all cleaned up, went back together again all trued up, and worked fine for years afterwards.
Pretty sure we're not 'supposed' to take them apart though.

I bought one of the Tesco/Asda/randomsupermarket type food flasks. Meant for soup or a meal and rice or bread in the top inner bowl thing. I think I paid six or eight pounds for it, something like that. Surprisingly good I found. Certainly kept food hot enough for a late lunch after an early morning start :)
It's quite lightweight too, seems to be mostly plastic construction.

M

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Asda were selling some off cheap a week or so ago, don't know whether the sale is still on for those items, but it was virtually half off.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks for the info, I'm wary of buying the cheap ones as they seem to have a limited lifespan. SWMBO 's flask from Wilko went after only 3 weeks - the vacuum just goes and it's another £7 wasted. My Alladin Adventurer flask is still going after 5 years - might look at them.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If a Wilko flask failed after three weeks, I'd have taken it back and complained. I would have expected at least a replacement.

M

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
stainless steel Stanley food flasks, they got good reviews, so I bought one, on line cost me £25, keeps food warm for up to 16 hours I think was their their claim... up against brand leader thermos (& others) of all flasks tested Stanley food flasks did the best for keeping food hotest for the longest time... & to be fair after warming first, it did keep my soup piping hot for up to 10 hrs, I used it for work it worked well for about 6 months then over night it suddenly stopped working, (ie. not a gradual breakdown) 5 hours in my soup was almost stone cold a very noticeable difference.... I also used it for cooking Rice (bring it to the boil soak for an hour) & for raw dried broth mix, soaking overnight it would be cooked ready to eat in the morning & still warm.... (heat & eat) I had seen the ones in tescos & was almost tempted??? Has any one else had a similar experience with Stanley food flasks breaking down???

I'm not sure if this applies in your case. My food flask came with instructions not to soak it or wash it in a dishwasher. Just handwash and dry. The reason being, it has a seam between the base and the outer jacket and if water gets in there, it acts as a thermal bridge between the inner and outer surfaces and the heat 'escapes'. If you've got water in there maybe that's the reason for the sudden loss of performance.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Klean Kanteen have 8 & 16 fl oz (1/4l & 1/2l) double walled food canisters.

But I think they're small size limits them to 3-4 hours (more surface area to radiate heat vs volume of hot food)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Stanley and Aladdin and Thermos feed the oil patch crews at -40F in outdoor work.
They all fit the 3 sizes of the Sudbury Miner's Lunch boxes. None better, anywhere.
I'm just so awful dang glad I never had to do that.
BUT
MY SIL is a project supervisor for a top end landscaping company, rain/snow/shine.
10(?) years ago, I bought him the correct kit.
He claims that he will wash the lunch box when the day comes that he needs to eat out of it.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
If it's out of guarantee Alan can you unscrew it and clean it up ? (the inner flask, if it's double walled glass needs handled like a light bulb). I rescued one of my ordinary flasks by doing that; the neck seal had become misaligned and tbh it was stained with tannin and looking rather dingy. It all cleaned up, went back together again all trued up, and worked fine for years afterwards.
Pretty sure we're not 'supposed' to take them apart though.

I bought one of the Tesco/Asda/randomsupermarket type food flasks. Meant for soup or a meal and rice or bread in the top inner bowl thing. I think I paid six or eight pounds for it, something like that. Surprisingly good I found. Certainly kept food hot enough for a late lunch after an early morning start :)
It's quite lightweight too, seems to be mostly plastic construction.

M

hi mary... no its totally stainless inside & out & doesn't disassemble... not read through all rest of thread yet but santa suggested stanley may have a lifetime guarantee, I don't remember details of the original sale so that might be more hassle than its worth... I was wondering what I could make with it repurpose it in to...? maybe ask santa for a dremil... no good ideas yet...

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'm not sure if this applies in your case. My food flask came with instructions not to soak it or wash it in a dishwasher. Just handwash and dry. The reason being, it has a seam between the base and the outer jacket and if water gets in there, it acts as a thermal bridge between the inner and outer surfaces and the heat 'escapes'. If you've got water in there maybe that's the reason for the sudden loss of performance.

well dish washer damage can easily be ruled out as I don't have one, its never been steeped only washed out under a running tap.. & always pre heated with boiling water before use, I had always assumed the space between the walls was filled with a vacuum & had become compromised I have toyed with the idea of drilling a small hole & filling the void with expanding foam... or drilling jets & turning it into a massive alcohol burner... (maybe a step too far)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE