Sloes or Wild Damsons or ...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 22, 2010
Staffordshire
Hi all, Any idea what these are? Picked today

I've picked a load of Sloes this year and these aren't the same as these - These have a tart taste but the flesh looks like a damson/plums, only they are tiny, tiny in size. They came of a branch which had quite long thorns.

Please help! A tip what to do with them wouldn't go a miss :)

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Small for a Bullace - right colour and flesh type though. My Bullaces are sweeter than plums though - gorgeous things

These are mine

August Bullace by British Red, on Flickr

About the size of a gobstopper or large cherry tomato

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
I picked some sloes last month and on one bush they were really plump, almost like black grapes. I put it down to good growing conditions for all fruit this year. My guess they are sloes, have you tried a taste test?

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
All of the plants in this family cross pollinate and there are an innordinate number of variations! I've had pink and green and yellow fruits that are classed as bullaces, and sloes I've picked have varied in size so much in one hedgerow that one's often nearly triple the size of another... So I think it's a safe bet that it's somewhere inbetween! As all of these things can be used in similar ways I'd taste one, decide what it's most suited to (Jelly, jam, chutney, wine etc, and try it out. Although you'll never go wrong popping any of the above into gin! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE