Sloe or Bilberry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Found some lovely blue berries and can't work out if they are sloe or bilberry. I don't have a photo (yet) but was just wondering if anyone has a easy way to tell the difference .... Been looking on google but the images of the berry look very similar ....

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Bilberries grow on the ground about a foot high and Slows are from bushes up to 7 - 8 feet high.Slows are usually hard and about 1/2" dia whereas Billberries are about !/4" and squishy like blackcurrants.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Thanks marcus2! That explains it perfectly. Sloe berries it is and sloe gin is on it's way!! ;-)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Sloes have spikes that can take out your eyes/ears/ feature of your choice, bilberrys are nice non spikey foliage, and nearly half the size. Sloes have a big stone in the middle and look like a small plum (but dusky blue)

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Eat one. If you pull a face, its a sloe :D

I like the simplicity!!! And I'll give it a go plus hopefully I'll be able to post a pic later for formal ID! I must admit they are found in hedges 5+ feet up but seem small like bilberries so still confused. Hopefully the taste will solve it!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like the simplicity!!! And I'll give it a go plus hopefully I'll be able to post a pic later for formal ID! I must admit they are found in hedges 5+ feet up but seem small like bilberries so still confused. Hopefully the taste will solve it!

Or maybe not

Cherry laural is out at the moment the fruit tastes like cherry flavoured marizipan, and is has poisonous qunatities of cyanide. Deadly nightshade looks like bilberries, so does black nighshade they are fruiting this time of year. There is also buckthorn and alder buckthorn that are purgatives. The fruit of all of these taste better than sloes.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Or maybe not

Cherry laural is out at the moment the fruit tastes like cherry flavoured marizipan, and is has poisonous qunatities of cyanide. Deadly nightshade looks like bilberries, so does black nighshade they are fruiting this time of year. There is also buckthorn and alder buckthorn that are purgatives. The fruit of all of these taste better than sloes.

Okay - I think I photo might be order. I'll try and something posted soon!!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We can at least tell you it aint bilberry because they finished months ago. When doing IDs it is important to look at more than the picture, what time of year does it fruit, is it a shrub or tree, what habitat does it live in? The more things that fit the more likely you are to get a positive ID. Just working from pictures may end in a bad experience.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've got several trees nearby with bitter fruit, look like sloes but not 100% sure - they're small about the size of a small plum and with a big stone.

Sound like sloes?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Also there is something that looks a bit like bilberries, is edible and has negative effects If a mate is right. He works as a scientist on fells looking at these things for some reaso in the past so he should know something like that.

Bilberies have run out. Sloes can be on rather larger shrubby trees/bushes. They have been out for a while now. OR at least south Cumbria at me Grans they have. Bit small this year though. Last year were more plum like sized.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE