Sloe gin.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
I have always been intrigued by people telling me how easy it is to make sloe gin, and the delights of the results :) . However I am not sure how to make it myself i know there is gin sugar and sloes involved but not the quantities. Oh and how do you recognise a sloe when it's at home?? Any help would be much apreciated.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Sloe gin is a doddle!! :) I'm sure a google search will find plenty of recipes but my method is:

Buy a cheap bottle of gin from Lidl or somewhere.
Pour out about 1/2 pint into a jug.
***** the sloes - about a good couple of handfulls will normally do a 70cl bottle - with a cocktail stick (if you can be bothered - it's not essential)
Plop the sloes in the bottle.
Add about 2-3 tbsps white sugar.
Top up with the gin you took out.
Use the left over gin for a large gin and tonic or two.

Ready after 6 months, but better after a year if you can keep it that long. Mine rarely reaches a year old.

They say that sloes benefit from a good frost, but they seem to be earlier and earlier each year, so you could pop the sloes in the freezer overnight before using them if you want.

Then (again if you can be bothered), the sloes can be added to sherry to produce a fortified sherry in the same way and then if you stone the sloes, chop them up and mix them with melted dark chocolate you can make your own liqueur chocolates.

BTW, sloes are the fruit of the blackthorn bush - dark blue-black, a big stone and sour as hell.

sloe.jpg

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
yeh, sloe gin is superb! the longer you leave it the better it is, but alas it never get to old...

the only thing i'd do different to scanker is get a good bottle of gin (best you can, i've tryed back-back cheap n nasty S-G and bombay saphire S-G. the saphire was leagues ahread) and possibly more sugar - but then i have a sweet tooth and like my sloe-gin gloopy. oh, dont forget to shake the bottle a few times.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
Thanks scanker, do you know what time of the year are sloes out and about? Could probably google for all this but why not ask the people who know eh!

Stoker37

Aug 7, 2005
Rotherham
Sloe Gin is incredibly easy to make. Take a demijohn or any other large container and half fill with sloes. Its best if the sloes are lightly crushed. Then fill the bottle with gin. I use Morrison’s own as it is 40% and relatively cheap in comparison to Gordon’s which is 37% and relatively expensive. (But then I’m a tight fisted Yorkshireman) Once the bottle is full tightly stopper it and give it a good shake. You need to repeat the shaking process every other day or whenever you think about it. The bottle should be stored somewhere dark. It usually takes about two months to mature. As to sugar personally I don’t bother as I like the gin sharp but once it’s matured you can sugar it to taste.

I would leave off picking any sloes though for another fortnight. I had a look at my favourite bushes the other day and there not ready just yet. If you’re further south than me in Sheffield they may be about ready now. When they’re ready to pick they look like black marbles.

I hope this is of some help. Cheers :p

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
An easier way than pricking is to freeze the sloes.I'm an idle sod and I find pricking tedious. :eek:

I tend to use the sort of carboy (glass jar) that you make wine in.Bag of sugar,at least a litre of gin and at least a third of the carboy full of berries.Leave out in the garage or shed and shake everytime you pass it.If the jar is clear,cover with a black bag or the colour fades.

As the others have said,the longer you leave it,the better it gets.If you make enough each time,you can end up with some two years old before it's broached.

Bloody delicious. :D

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
The traditional way is to leave the sloes on the branch until after the first frost. This softens the skin so the flavour permeates quicker. With the advent of fridge/freezers, you can bung them in the freezer overnight and get the same result. No need for pricking all of the sloes either (Unless you're a masochist!!)
But I guess one of the reasons for waiting for the firest frost is to ensure that the sloes stay on the branch until they are fully ripe. I doubt any sloes you pick in the next couple of weeks would be fully ripe. They may be looking ripe, but don't think the taste will be there yet. Wait until October.

As far as recipes go, ratio of sloes sugar and gin is all down to personal preference, experiment and find one you're happy with.

Last year, I found a bottle that I'd made four years earlier and was still in a box in the shed from when I moved house last. Divine!!! ;)

Martin

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I also add a few drops of glycerine into each bottle. It makes your sloe gin coat your glass like congac. I can vouch for leaving a bottle or two aside for a couple of years - it does seem to make it tastier. I usually make some every year but I've got 10+ bottles in the garage left from 2000-2004 I need to polish off so I'll be giving it a miss this year.

By the way, when you find where a good supply of sloes are don't tell a soul 'cos the news will spread like wildfire and they'll be nabbed before they're ready.

Matt

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If home-made alcohol is your thing, then the site below is just what you're looking for:

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

I've made vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon, chilli, ginger, peppermint, raspberry, blackcurrant and lemon vodkas in the past. Vanilla, lemon and cinnamon were the nicest. There's plenty to choose from there though.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
And don't stop at sloes either, blackberry whisky is very nice as is bolus brandy.
We're making some rasberry gin atm but we use one of the glass jars with a rubber seal and a metal catch - I forget what they're called. It makes it sooo much easier to decant to the bottle than a demmyjon. The fruit swells a little so berries that go in without a problem will be a little more difficult to come out.

I also filter mine through a coffee filter. Leave it untouched for a couple of months to allow a sediment to form. The carefully put it high enough to be able to syphone it out with a small tube. Dampen the filters with water first and change them when they're clogged up - which is frequently.

I think I've still got some pre 2000 stuff somewhere....

Enjoy

Mark

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I got half a dozen demijons donated to me, then the mixture I use is simply with a pint glass. Pint of sloes, pint of sugar, pint of gin.

You can either ***** the sloes or freeze the first, causing them to split. Add together and leave till christmas (doesn't normally last past this), I just give mine a quick shake when I remember.

Final consistency is fairly thick, similar to cough medicine.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I adore sloe gin and so do my friends, to the degree that it never survives 12 months :D
We chuck a small handfull of dried almonds in ours too.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
once upon a time i got married (but before this i made 2 demmy johns full of sloe gin for the beaters) i bottled said sloe gin 1 year later then put it up in the loft....
6 years later i seperated from my wife and discovered said bottles in the loft....
there begins the first mistake for a few months my uncle also separated and living with me polished the lot boy was that a way to forget..... bloody rocket fuel i wish i drunk it slower and i wish i still had a bottle or two but sadly no more.
just 1 demmy john a year now and it last for a year then i use it up ... just gone to pour myself a glass heres to the shooting season

Jul 28, 2005
Surrey
I gather it is best to wait till the first frost to harvest teh sloes, or alternatively put the picked sloes into the freezer. The cold triggers achemical change (in the sugars?)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
phantomlynx said:
I gather it is best to wait till the first frost to harvest teh sloes, or alternatively put the picked sloes into the freezer. The cold triggers achemical change (in the sugars?)
I always find that as long as they are black and "give" a bit when squeezed,they are ready.If you wait too long some other sod'll have em.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
BorderReiver said:
I always find that as long as they are black and "give" a bit when squeezed,they are ready.If you wait too long some other sod'll have em.

They'll have to be good to strip the amount I've seen this year. I've seen absolutely loads in half a dozen places!!

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
Cheers everyone, I Know its not the most bushcrafty thread but its always nice to do somthing with natures bounty. he he! I hope to be sipping on my own sloe gin or blackberry whiskey by crimbo!!

Thanks again. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE