Sloe Gin

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
After the good summer we had I thought the sloes would have been hanging of the bushes. Either someone got there before me or they just did not produce. I still got enough for a litre or two though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Best year in a decade here? Absolutely millions of them. I wonder if that's because the beehives are so close to the blackthorn trees so ours pollinated well? I'll be interested to hear how other peoples have done!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
One area was promising in the spring but I think someone got in there before me, but theres definitely been less. Do any animals eat them? I know they're very astringent but don't know if anything actually eats them.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
uhehu3yv.jpg

vy5utuqu.jpg

2ybasase.jpg

dajejuja.jpg

Chiseller and I found some absolute beauties yesterday afternoon. Mine are macerating away in the cupboard as I type.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
We did a couple of walks to gather some sloes and it seems to be a function of hedgerow management here.

Down the lane where we were gathering the berries closest to the road (and therefore repeated hedge cutting by the farmers) were pretty small; the ones right at the back of the hedge were massive.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I understand that its going to be a poor year for sloes.. Down to the extended spring. Also because lots of people know about sloes what are available disappear very quickly!! I was always taught not to pick them until the first frost!! If i wait for that now I never get any!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Either I am too late or its just as bad around here. Strange too as there are a few spots I go that are off the beaten track so should have been good.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Elderberry tincture is medicinally useful but not a pleasant drink. Elderberry port is wonderful though.

Rhubarb is also good in wine - and I discovered this year also in beer, but not ideal in spirits.

Plums, apples, pears, strawberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries and especially blackberries all work well. Vary the amount and type of sweetener according to the fruit. Some like a darker raw type sugar e.g. blackberry like Demerara, bullace likes muscavado others work better with a refined sugar (I find strawberry and raspberry are overwhelmed by the treacle taste of raw sugars). Some flavours like honey. Spices are great too. Some recipes need some work (see the blackberry brandy tutorial), some are simple tinctures.

Short answer - its all good!

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I made some with brambles that was really nice, and also with shop bought Blueberries that was also really good and had a really vivid colour to it.
I usually use Vodka not Gin as personally I don't like the juniper aftertaste in Gin.

Has anyone tried any other fruit in gin?

I have blackcurrants and rhubarb in the garden, could be interesting.

Stu

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ swright; I think what you've got in your post above looks like either Bullace or Wild Damson to me, I don't think they're Sloes.

But absolutely no harm done, the others will give great results too!......................................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE