Slioch kit?

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Just back from a wonderful 2 weeks holiday in the Highlands of Scotland. We camped in Poolewe (between Gairloch and Ullapool) for the whole time as it was pretty much perfect for us. It happens that the "factory" for Slioch outdoors shop was just down the road, so we went along and had a look. They make their own clothes (out of Goretex, Ventile, Pertex etc) and do a made-to-measure service for free.

Has anyone bought anything from them before? They seem to make "interpretations" on more well-known brands (e.g. their pertex fleeces seem rather similar to Buffalo) but slightly more agricultural looking (e.g. their jackets have fairly boring cuts with big square pockets - practical but not very flattering). But it all seemed well made, and to get it made to measure would be rather nice.

I did buy some Goretex gaiters from them (never understood the point of gaiters until we spent a few days walking through boggy Scottish moorland ;)) which work great, but maybe the temptation for a ventile smock or similar could become too great if it's not rubbish stuff.

Any user reviews? Or should we just stick to Westwinds or even North Face et al?

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
It's Good Stuff!

Slioch have equipped more than a couple of Mountain Rescue Teams with their winter foul weather gear.

Plus, there is the big advantage that you are spending your money at a Small Scottish Buisiness, rather than a Massive Multi- National Exploiter.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's excellent stuff. I bought HWMBLT a made to measure goretex jacket and trousers from them over fifteen years ago. They're still going strong and Gavin is retired and hillwalks constantly so the jacket/trousers get a lot of use.
It's not fancy kit, it's not bedevilled with extra pockets and fol-de-rols, but if you want kit that works without fuss, Slioch is very highly recommended.

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
they were on my list for consideration when i ordered my ventile smock. along with snowsled and west-winds.
i prefered the design/cost of the west-winds smock though.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Ah, they have a website. Why didn't I think of that? Fortunately I have one of their brochures. I agree that I'd rather go down the smaller shop than the bigger companies. If I even decide to try Ventile, I'll keep them on the list - not pretty, not cheap, but the made to measure service would be super.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE