Slingshot/Catapult shooters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Not sure if this has ever been discussed in the past? I have recently been bitten by the Slingshot/Catapult bug. I use it for target shooting only and normally with a catch box. Anyone enjoy use a catapult/ for killing a bit of time when out and about on a camp, or more heavily into the hobby?

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Not sure if this has ever been discussed in the past? I have recently been bitten by the Slingshot/Catapult bug. I use it for target shooting only and normally with a catch box. Anyone enjoy use a catapult/ for killing a bit of time when out and about on a camp, or more heavily into the hobby?
Massively into it. I'm addicted. I spent a year shooting a black widow. On a good day I was very accurate but struggled for consistency and eventually got frustrated. Recently I bought a flat bands catty which has taken it to a new level. I have had to restrict myself to one training session a day because I could easily spend the entire day plinking. Eventually I hope to get to a good enough standard for hunting. I've got a slingbow as well which is an interesting concept. Feel free to chat here or pm me John. Dale x

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I will take you up on that offer for a pm chat mate for sure. Nice to know not just me addicted to the Slingshot scene it blends well into the hobby too I think IMHO. I never did the whole Black Widow thing I went straight for flat bands. I just love the variety of options available for frame and band sets etc. If there ever was a **** it's another skill set to get food lol

lachat

Mar 6, 2024
Europe
I use to shoot/kill small vermin and some birds with a catapult. Takes a lot of practice and skill. Wind blowing towards you not away. Won't allways kill in one shot. Just have a rock/stick to finish it of.

compo

Nov 22, 2020
bradford
what flat band catapult would you recommend .I have a blackwidow but would like to try a flat band one

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I prefer the Wasp ranges of frames more specifically their enzo. Most of their frames are sub £20. They well made and really robust. Flat bands wise I guess it depends on ammo size you intend to shoot 8mm steel are generally suited 0.5mm, I prefer to use Snipersling yellow. But there's a ton of different band makers.

Reactions: compo
my slingshot is made from a forked branch, i'm using flat bands and switched to "over the top" attachment about 18months ago (after "through the fork" since long-ago childhood); ammo is river pebbles. so far i'm hopeless beyond 5m but it's relaxing :)
my only kill was a bullet ant about 5ft away near my toes :p (they're not called bullet ant for nothing -- if one gets you you'll know it for sure and for the rest of the day...)

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
my slingshot is made from a forked branch, i'm using flat bands and switched to "over the top" attachment about 18months ago (after "through the fork" since long-ago childhood); ammo is river pebbles. so far i'm hopeless beyond 5m but it's relaxing :)
my only kill was a bullet ant about 5ft away near my toes :p (they're not called bullet ant for nothing -- if one gets you you'll know it for sure and for the rest of the day...)
Its ok to kill but only for food. did you eat it? :) ps you must have very big feet

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
what flat band catapult would you recommend .I have a blackwidow but would like to try a flat band one
Just as another option, Look at the simple shot range. I have got simple shot hammer xt lite. £50 superb and deadly accurate. ou can get that from sling shot shop uk x

Reactions: compo

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
my slingshot is made from a forked branch, i'm using flat bands and switched to "over the top" attachment about 18months ago (after "through the fork" since long-ago childhood); ammo is river pebbles. so far i'm hopeless beyond 5m but it's relaxing
Shooting pebbles is a great skill to have. Most of the time shooting pebbles out of most slingshots is a no no. Mainly because they an odd shape. So in travel they can catch the wind and fly off in different directions, and even hit the frame just after leaving the pouch, so there's great skill in being accurate with a pebble. However, if you were looking to be more accurate longer distances, switching to a spherical shaped ammo would be better ie, ballbearings, as these fly straighter when shot from a catapult and have no odd angles for the wind to catch them and knock them off target

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I tried to get into this a few years back but was far too inconsistent. This guy is superhuman and his skill is unbelievable. Well worth a subscribe
Yes, I've watched quite a few of gamekeeper John videos on YouTube. There is also others that are also really good with slingshots at long distances, Wayne Martin from Catty shack, is an excellent hunter with a catapult. Wayne goes after pheasant, rabbit, hare duck, and even goose and uses predominantly 11mm steel. Chris Graffin from catapult carnage is also really good at both target and hunting Chris won last years world slingshot championship in Italy. He is deadly with 8mm steel.

Reactions: The Frightful

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I tried to get into this a few years back but was far too inconsistent. This guy is superhuman and his skill is unbelievable. Well worth a subscribe
Whilst I agree that gamekeeper john is superb. Slingshot is not as hard as some people think. You can get consistent quite quickly. Have another go frightful. Chris at catapult carnage does some good how to videos. The only thing I would suggest is using flatbands. I shot with a black widow for a year. The tubes are not ideal x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Shooting pebbles is a great skill to have. Most of the time shooting pebbles out of most slingshots is a no no. Mainly because they an odd shape. So in travel they can catch the wind and fly off in different directions, and even hit the frame just after leaving the pouch, so there's great skill in being accurate with a pebble. However, if you were looking to be more accurate longer distances, switching to a spherical shaped ammo would be better ie, ballbearings, as these fly straighter when shot from a catapult and have no odd angles for the wind to catch them and knock them off target
A few tips I wrote down in my book. Acorns make a consistent ammo if you are in the wild. You can also fashion a powerful slingshot from a couple of condoms as well. Tyre inner tubes do not work. x

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
A few tips I wrote down in my book. Acorns make a consistent ammo if you are in the wild. You can also fashion a powerful slingshot from a couple of condoms as well. Tyre inner tubes do not work. x
The acorn thing makes sense. Hell of a big round mind you, but with the right bands it will pack a punch. Some of the hunters use leads, and there is something called lead beans. Which are similar shape to an acorn they are preferred because they will take out almost any quarry you are going for whether it’s a head shot or body shot

i'm using pebbles because they're for free (and i'm on a low budget), but i've also a casting mould for fishing sinkers, so i could cast my own .42cal ammo, too...

there's a clip on YouTube called "carolina slingshot man" or something like this -- Rufus Hussey (=the guy featured) looked like a 60y.o. Bart Simpson and was deadly accurate using pebbles, too

Reactions: Robbi

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
Slingshot/Catapult/Catty ...
Whenever I’m out I have one in my pack, camping Bushcrafting etc.

I bought one off eBay approx 8-9 years ago out of wood. When it arrived it looked awful it needed some finishing off and I felt I could do better.

So Christmas was coming up so I made a few for family and friends. Since then I’ve made quite a few basically from scrap wood and cutting from various peoples projects.

Looked at round bands but for me flat bands are the most versatile. My reasoning is quite simple, you cut them to any length any width and by tapering you can increase the speed for a given length. By choosing a lower powered band you can concentrate on accuracy and consistency. Once you have that then just add a smaller band in tandem to increase the power and distance.

Ammo, my preference is 10mm nut which I shoot into a padded box. On ebay you can buy clay ammo balls which clearly degrade without issue. Ball bearings are the best for speed but can ricochet so heads up.

Hopefully I’m able to upload a few pictures.

Attachments

• P1000221.JPG
    P1000221.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000251.JPG
    P1000251.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000280.JPG
    P1000280.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000433.JPG
    P1000433.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000461.JPG
    P1000461.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P1000498.JPG
    P1000498.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20130811_130940.jpg
    20130811_130940.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE