slightly pretty spoon

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i decided to have a go at kohlrosing, what do you think of my first attempt?

zo94s9.jpg

i searched the cupboards but unfortunately we're clean out of powdered alder bark so i made do with cheap and nasty instant coffee and some boiled linseed oil.

thanks for looking

stuart

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks good to me as well. goodjob

Instant coffee is pretty awful to use on it though. Do you have any cinnamon in the house? That's what Wayland reccomends as an alternative to powdered alder bark :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......Instant coffee is pretty awful to use on it though. Do you have any cinnamon in the house? That's what Wayland reccomends as an alternative to powdered alder bark :)

daren't have cinnamon in the house, SWMBLT sits and eats it with a spoon, soon becomes costly! coffee was actually suggested by wayland, i'd agree that it's not the nicest thing to be using but it's what i had, i shall be either powdering some alder or finding a safe hiding place for some cinnamon at some point though.

cheers for the comments folks

stuart

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Looks good to me! nowt wrong with using coffee, you can use most bark that powders or ground inner bark from Birch trees.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just seen this.

Nice job Stuart

Coffee is recommended by a few people online and is sort of traditional but as I don't drink the stuff I've never tried it.

I've had my best results using cinnamon and normally recommend that as a replacement to the very traditional alder bark powder.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
daren't have cinnamon in the house, SWMBLT sits and eats it with a spoon, soon becomes costly! coffee was actually suggested by wayland, i'd agree that it's not the nicest thing to be using but it's what i had, i shall be either powdering some alder or finding a safe hiding place for some cinnamon at some point though.

cheers for the comments folks

stuart

Wait, your other half can beat the cinnamon challenge?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Coffee is recommended by a few people online and is sort of traditional but as I don't drink the stuff I've never tried it.

I've had my best results using cinnamon and normally recommend that as a replacement to the very traditional alder bark powder.

hmm, i wonder who it was that suggested coffee to me then, i must have had more conversations about kohlrosing than i can remember (not really that surprising, i'm sure that late night woodsmoke affects my memory!)

thanks for the (snipped) compliment

Wait, your other half can beat the cinnamon challenge?

i don't know, what's the cinnamon challenge? i'm intrigued

stuart

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK

stuart

For full effect search Youtube for "cinnamon challenge" 99.9% of people who try it fail in a most EPIC manner.
oh and i also find best results for kolrosing with cinnamon and walnut oil. the cinnamon goes lovely and dark and the walnut really adds to the wood.
Pete

Wayland

Hárbarðr
hmm, i wonder who it was that suggested coffee to me then, i must have had more conversations about kohlrosing than i can remember (not really that surprising, i'm sure that late night woodsmoke affects my memory!)

thanks for the (snipped) compliment

stuart

I probably did mention it as an alternative but I would go with cinnamon if you can.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I probably did mention it as an alternative but I would go with cinnamon if you can.

i'll have a try with some cinnamon soon, i'm still intending to prettify (no it's not a real word) my little mora in a simliar style to yours at some point, it's somewhere on my to-do list, i'll try cinnamon on that when i get round to it.

thanks all for the nice comments :grouphug:

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE