Sleipner or 14C28N in a Casström No.10 Swedish Forest knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I am looking at buying a Casström No.10 Swedish Forest knife in Scandi grind from Lamnia. Are there good reasons to get one blade steel over the other? Is Sleipner going to be a lot stronger on the edge than the Sandvik option? Will Sleipner be a lot more apt to rust? Will one edge be more 'toothy' than the other (like D2 when sharpened properly)?

TIA,
Sid

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is some good comparison here
The 14C28N will be more corrosion resistant, and easier to sharpen, and with its high toughness it could be less ready to chip at a low edge angle, but it doesn't look like they are treating quite it hard enough to have comparable edge retention for slicing tasks.

I would not expect either to be toothy like D2, not enough carbon or chrome to make those large carbides, and I would be glad that is the case on a Scandinavian ground knife where maintaining a flat bevel requires a lot of metal removal.

Reactions: sidpost

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
14c28n is a great balanced mid range steel, as Chris has stated. I would look at Casström experience with both steels.... Look at a few online reviews to gage this, they have perfected the carbon steel version of the No.10 Swedish Forest knife, based upon my past experience.

Reactions: sidpost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE