Sleeping Mat Repair

BumblingAlong

Forager
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Struggling to repair 3 small holes in a Sea to Summit Esther Insulated Sleeping Mat.

The 3 separate holes made presumably by a scrambling rat are located in 3 separate 'bevel's between the air pockets. They have raised edges within themselves and are also raised as part of the air pocket loft itself.

The Sea to Summit Repair Kit offered no adhesion at all. Adhesive tape failed on all 3 holes. Maybe need some glue. Any specific product suggestions

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve just had to bin mine. As you say, nothing really sticks however carefully you prepare the surface.

I’ve just bought a Vango replacement and it comes with a patch of fabric but no adhesive. The instructions say use an isocyanate (superglue) adhesive but I’m not sure I’d ever trust a repair.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Try tenacious tape. I use the clear tape that can be cut to size and have mended holes in many things,( tarp, down sleeping bag, down jacket, and a cheap self inflating mat )with it. I don't use the repair patches that come with mats anymore. The tape is an instant repair, being clear is fairly invisible, and sticks extremely well. Worth a try before chucking the mat perhaps.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Duct tape is stickier than most things, and flexible.

You can use bathroom sealant diluted with mineral spirit as an adhesive for a bit of nylon fabric. For branded products, Aquaseal is good for flexible patching on wetsuits etc. Seam Grip for superduper waterproofing and seam repair for jackets and tents. Freesole or Shoegoo for good abrasion resistance for shoe repair.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I used the glue and patches that came with my Alpkit Numo mat to repair a small hole. I did use soft sanding paper to slightly roughen the area around the hole and on the repair patch itself. Before sticking the patch on I allowed the glue to cure for 15 min as well. I used enough glue so when I pressed down on the patch excess glue was squeezed out all around the edges of the patch for a good seal.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Bike tyre puncture kits have worked the best for me in the past.

Make sure to prep the area well, clean with alcohol etc.. and if you can keep pressure on the patch while it cures.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
I used something like seam grip-you apply it and let it cure overnight. then i think I either used tenacious tape ready made patches or cut some tenacious to size and stuck it over the top. repeaired a 3 inch cut on an exped synmat. Also , I am not sure as it was a while a go but i think I made a repair near to the valve with just seam grip as it is tricky there. it was 2 years ago and now there is another leak. It is a real pain to find the leak .However we no longer have a bath for me to use to find the leak ( putting soapy water on the mat to find a leak only works if it is a big leak) ...trying to find a small leak is a nightmare. Anyway I have abandoned that mat and bought a new one. Even if I had fixed it I didn't fancy trying to find the next inevitable a microscopic leak especially whilst camping. Also there is a seamgrip version used for silicon coated fabrics but not sure if that is relevant in this case.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well done.
One to file away in the memory box when someone gets a puncture, rather than just throwing plastic in the bin and getting spendy on a new one.
I will pop my tube of stormsure adhesive into my ditty bag, along with the tape, for on the spot repairs when I'm away on my camps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE