Sleeping bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have a snugpak softie 9 Hawk bag that is a few years old now and I last week I was really feeling the cold. I don't think the insolation properties are as good as when it was new.

any recommendations to what I should replace it with

I don't want anything that packs away bigger but needs to be warm

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Sounds about right - I've got an old Snugpak 12 bag as well.

There is a whole thread here on Snugpak bags, and their possible shortcomings - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138711

You can wash the bag to reloft it, etc, but if its not warm, its not warm.

I'm hoping to replace my bag in the next couple of months, and If its down, then the Alpkit series (perhaps the 900 -https://www.alpkit.com/products/skyehigh-900 ) is my base line - packs down very small, excellent reviews, and at £170, a very good price for the spec. However, since I have the vague suspicion that I'm slight allergic to down (a little but itchy), my alternative would be the Mountain Hardware Laminia series if going with synthetic. The new ones are out, but the older ones are still around, and might get a good price on them. Again, excellent reviews, and for a synthetic, packs down pretty well. Also well priced and for about the same amount of money as a Snugpak, you get a warmer, lighter bag.

I think Wayne and TonyUK both have good advice.

And don't worry about buying a 'tactical' sleeping bag, they're no better made and in real life you can chuck any old bag into a bivvy and call it tactical.

Thats very true! I've often wondered why Snugpak (or even other 'military' bags) are so popular in certain circles, when pretty much every real review I've read has a different real world comfort rating from the manufacturers spec, and everyone says 'not as warm as stated'. I get the fact that they are popular with the military, but I suspect Snugpak are past their best, they are relatively bulky, and I have no need to buy a bag which is reinforced so that I can sleep in it with my boots on! Frankly, the word 'tactical' is hugely abused now anyway, to the point that its no more than marketing speak.

I'd be interested as to what you go for, since I'm also in the market.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The Alpkit sleeping bags are really very good for the money and I'd thoroughly recommend them. I'm currently using a PHD Minim 300 for most of the year round, often with a silk liner. PHD are expensive though (and the prices keep going up) so if you're going that way wait until their Biannual sale that they hold.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Well having a look around I thing a down bag is the way to go for me.

But despite old bones comment about tactical bags (although I do agree with him for the most part) I do need something in a subdued colour. A bright red bag is no good for me.

Maily

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2016
United Kingdom
my alternative would be the Mountain Hardware Laminia series if going with synthetic. The new ones are out, but the older ones are still around, and might get a good price on them.

I have a 2013 lamina 0. Bargain when bought in the sale. Tamp ratings seem accurate to me. Kept me toasty on frosty night's and I feel the cold at night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE