sleeping bags for fatty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Now, a couple of you will know, and anyone who meets me will quickly realise, i am of a lsigjtly portly persuasion- i would go as far as to say i was positively rotund- if i were a foot shorter i'd be totally spherical.

so, the question is, are there any sleeping bags which are extra large or are there specific makers who make bigger ones?

thanks for any advice.

Nathan

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nat,
Don't be affraid of making your own, most regular bags are a bit slim on me too. I recon you could build one to encorporate lots of whizzy features for a fraction of the cost of a commercial item.

ATB

Ogri the trog

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
NatG, I can't type for laughing...a totally spherical bushcrafter. :lmao: Ok, if you don't have any luck get two spare wheel covers, the sort you see on the rear doors of 4x4's, sew them together (remember to leave a hole for your head to stick out...) line with furry material..hey presto!..:lmao: :lmao:
Serious mode now mate. The bunks on my boat are slightly wider than a 'single' but not as wide as a 'double' I bought a double duvet and a local lady folded it and put a zip in it for me. Ok, it's not sleeping bag as such but it does the trick, I suppose you could always do that and put it in a bivvy bag as a cover. Just a thought. wicca.

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
Hey NatG

Im of the xxl variety 2 :D

I have found the Snug pack Softy Elite bags to be quite roomy (think its about 86 cm across the chest). They come with an extender baffle, and the Elite 3 will do me for most of the year.

For winter I have recently got a Nanok SF -10. Not quite as much room but very warm.

Good luck with your search

I'm not sure how you link to a past post...so I've cut n pasted a previous post I did for suppliers of bigger gear fur us Bigger folk.

For the bigger guys n gals out there.

After reading many posts on as many different outdoor forums asking for requests for information on bigger sized outdoor items, I thought it was about time we could have a resource for all those bigger folks out there, taller, wider or both! So here is a list of items that are available for the larger person. I would be grateful if people could cut and paste this list in their post while contributing to it if possible with suppliers.

In no way am I related to or connected to any sellers in any way other than being a happy customer.

Basics

Thermal Underwear

US extreme cold weather Thermal Top and bottoms
Black, Tan, and available up to xxxxl (60 inch chest)
Suppliers Ebay (US)

US extreme cold weather Fleece Top and bottoms
Various colours and available up to xxxl (54inch chest)

Norgee tops available up to a xxxxll on some German eBay sites

Outdoor Trousers

UK military combat trousers and goretex trousers available up to 52+ waist
Suppliers-Occassionally on eBay
Denbigh army surplus

US Trousers available up to xxxxl on eBay

Ridgeline Newzealand Water repellent Fleece trousers
Up to xxxl (46 waist)

Outdoor Jackets

UK combat jackets and shirt including goretex up to 60 inch chest
Suplliers-occasionally on eBay
Denbigh army surplus

US combat jackets up to a xxxxl
Various suppliers in the States or on Ebay

Wax jackets up to 6xl (56 chest) various bush styles
www.drizaboneclothing.co.uk

General info

Norrønas stuff (recon for instance) are cut very generously.Cabelas has a great size range on their clothing, and an insane range of clothes!

Hats

Large sized

Tilley Endurables (makers of exceptionally good cotton hats, among others): www.tilley.com
NogginTops (who have a section conveniently listing larger sizes): www.noggintops.com

and for those with a fine sense of tradition and the means to afford it...

James Lock & Co., Ltd. (Sir will not have a problem here, regardless of size): http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/

Sleeping Bags

Big Agnes sleeping bags
Mk 2 UK issue Arctic Bags with the central zip are the largest uk made Sleeping bags
Dutch Army sleeping bags
58 pat long sleeping bags are large made
Robens (www.robens.pl) makes down sleeping bags to very low cost, even custom ones (in the EU so no risk for VAT or toll stuff).

Bivi bags

Largest 2 smallest
Cammo Special forces hooped bivi uk issue
Cammo sol 95 uk issue bivi
Dutch Issue bivi bag
Old UK issue olive bivi

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I have found the Snug pack Softy Elite bags to be quite roomy (think its about 86 cm across the chest). They come with an extender baffle

Thanks for the Info. I'm more like the 3XL variety myself :D

I have a Nanok -10ºc bag myself. Not used it yet, and would sell it on and go for a Snugpak Elite if they're bigger.

Is that roughly 86cm across the chest with the extender panel 'extended' or not?

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Just got a email back from Snugpak after I sent a query regarding the dimensions of their bags.

Basically, the UK made bags are 220cm long and have a circumference of 160cm. The imported bags are 220cm long as well but have a circumference of 150cm. The expander panels give an extra 50cm but only fit the UK made bags.

If you're really tall they have a extra option where they will add 12 inches to any of the UK made bags for an extra RRP of £17, which sounds quite reasonable to me.

Hope this helps anyone who's looking for a bigger bag. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE