Sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I am looking for a sleeping mat and bag , can you guys suggest me what to get , on the budget ?
For the mat I am thinking about thermarest solite , I want a 4 season mat and 3 season sleeping bag

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
We need some more information. You havn't given a budget, or whats most important - minimal bulk, etc. Seasons can be misleading - what temp ranges might the combo be used in (in theory a 2 season bag might cover Spring, but it can be very cold in Spring!), and how you sleep - warm or cold. And what will the sleeping bag be used with - a tent, a tary or bivvy bag?

As for the mat - why a closed cell? And why a 4 season mat, but only a 3 season bag?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Moved to Shelter & Sleeping Sub-forum.

Do you have any guiding parameters like size, weight, colour, material/fill? What budget do you have?

When you say 4 season/3 season, what temperatures does that mean for you where you are?

For insulation the Thermarest Ridgerest are good, but they work best when you can shape the surface you are lying on. I find them too thin for sleeping on hard, smooth surfaces (cabin floors or granite slabs). Not sure if I would call my Ridgerest 4 season. Most certainly the Gen1 NeoAir I have is not 4 season, nor as durable, but is much more comfortable and packable. I am glad I have both but if I was mainly going to be rough camping, in cold weather, and could only have one, it would be the Ridgerest.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I want a 3 season bag because in winter we get up to -25C and I have an extreme cold weather sleeping bag up to -30C , I slept in it in -2C and I was very hot even though I had a cheap thin unusable sleeping mat which got wet in snow. as for mattress you can count that I dont have one so I need one for 4 season , Im planning a hot tenting trip in about 3-4 weeks so I have to buy it fast , while the sleeping bag can wait. budget is max 50$ for matt and about 70$ for sleeping bag but again I can save a little more because Im not in a rush for it.
Yes Im thinking of the ridgerest solite too , plus I am 1.93m in height so I need a large version and that adds 10-15$

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Multimat Expedition Summit Compact 38 Self-Inflating Camping Mat OLIVE https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VVJX6A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HMWJybFWER0TF

Multimat NATO 35 Self Inflating Sleeping Mat Olive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SJGQFFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cOWJyb4D702HA

Either one of those two mats will see you through cold temps Nick.
And they're just within your budget and pack down nicely.

Mine is 2 years old and still good as new.
Trick with them is to don't overinflate and make sure the ground is free of sharp or spikes thorns etc.

I use mine between the bivvy bag and the sleeping bag .

Hope it helps 👍

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If your just looking for cheap and cheerful then i recommend a good condition 90 pattern bag and the issue 3/4 length inflating mat. The bag can be had for about £20, the mat the same price. If you factor in another £20-30 for a bivvy bag in good condition then you have a system that will keep you warm and dry all through the year, although it can be a bit warm in summer, and the bag is a bit bulky, but bombproof.

If you want more comfort have a look at the alpkit dirtbag mat, it's much thicker than most and has a taper so its a bit thicker near where your head would be, very comfortable and actually doesn't pack down much larger than a normal full length mat.

If you would like a new bag then i can recommend either the snugpak softie 10 or a bag by Vango. Vango are a good budget brand and most shops carry them so they're easy to try out for size and fit. The snugpak is the best of the range I've seen, but the zip is a bit poor, and its a bit tight across the shoulders. In general snugpak are optimistic with their ratings but the 10 has kept me warm in some very bad winter weather.

Another option to look into would be the mountain hardware lamina range. I've been eyeing one up for ages now as a replacement for the softie 10 and going by the specs and from what I've heard from others who bought them they're excellent bags and true to spec temp wise. They run at about £140 for a 3 season bag if i remember correctly.

Tonyuk

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I can highly recommend the snugpak elite 4. I use mine all year round. Had it for a few years now and it's still going strong

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Multimat Expedition Summit Compact 38 Self-Inflating Camping Mat OLIVE https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VVJX6A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HMWJybFWER0TF

Multimat NATO 35 Self Inflating Sleeping Mat Olive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SJGQFFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cOWJyb4D702HA

Either one of those two mats will see you through cold temps Nick.
And they're just within your budget and pack down nicely.

Mine is 2 years old and still good as new.
Trick with them is to don't overinflate and make sure the ground is free of sharp or spikes thorns etc.

I use mine between the bivvy bag and the sleeping bag .

Hope it helps 👍

The top one shipping dimentions is huge I will need to pay minimum 50$ more to ship it here
the bottom one is a little pricey.. :(

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
If your just looking for cheap and cheerful then i recommend a good condition 90 pattern bag and the issue 3/4 length inflating mat. The bag can be had for about £20, the mat the same price. If you factor in another £20-30 for a bivvy bag in good condition then you have a system that will keep you warm and dry all through the year, although it can be a bit warm in summer, and the bag is a bit bulky, but bombproof.

If you want more comfort have a look at the alpkit dirtbag mat, it's much thicker than most and has a taper so its a bit thicker near where your head would be, very comfortable and actually doesn't pack down much larger than a normal full length mat.

If you would like a new bag then i can recommend either the snugpak softie 10 or a bag by Vango. Vango are a good budget brand and most shops carry them so they're easy to try out for size and fit. The snugpak is the best of the range I've seen, but the zip is a bit poor, and its a bit tight across the shoulders. In general snugpak are optimistic with their ratings but the 10 has kept me warm in some very bad winter weather.

Another option to look into would be the mountain hardware lamina range. I've been eyeing one up for ages now as a replacement for the softie 10 and going by the specs and from what I've heard from others who bought them they're excellent bags and true to spec temp wise. They run at about £140 for a 3 season bag if i remember correctly.

Tonyuk

I just remembered that for 60-70$ equivalent in Georgian lari there are the US military sleep systems for sale here , sold by guys from afganistan they send them new items to sell and receive new stuff for themselves. It's not always available but ill keep my eye on it.
That alpkit dirtbag looks good but still out of my budget...
I found the ridgerest for 38$ including shipping , its right in my budget , should I get it ?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The top one shipping dimentions is huge I will need to pay minimum 50$ more to ship it here
the bottom one is a little pricey.. :(
Might be worth typing the titles of those mats into your local eBay .
It may save you in postage...

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I think Ill go with this one , is it a good deal ? has anyone had any experience with it ? will it be good for -10C in snow ?

R value is quite low, I think you would be feeling the cold with that mat alone at -10C. Using a cheaper self inflating mat, like a Costco one plus a heavy duty thermal survival blanket would probably bear better results.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So guys as you know I'm an ambassador of Aqua Quest they are willing to sponsor me with a bivy , which one should I take ? I liked the mummy bag bug I think I will be swimming in condesation in the morning. I want it for a trip I am planning in deep snow and cold for 1-2 nights

dab39dbf9b9d.png

https://aquaquestwaterproof.com/product-category/bivy-tents/

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I would rather have the bivvy bag, a mummy style combined with a tarp, I've used my bivvy bag (British army surplus) in cold conditions, but not in the snow... Yet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE