Sleeping bag recommendations??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Well just got back from Cotswolds -£90 but carrying the ME Mil TDS3. Looked at both the Nanok and the ME for about 30 mins, then went and spent another 30 mins with a salesman. Looking at both of them the Nanok looks like it could survive pretty much any abuse thrown at it, looks to be a better build quality than the ME but this came at a price of about .5kg. Packability there isn't much in it (the guy in the shops eyes bulged a bit at the flexing on the plastic buckles in the compression straps though but it had to be tested.
The ME bag looks to be more comfortable, the TDS system really is good, I can sit up cross legged in the sleeping bag without any problems.
The only other point that nearly sold me the Nanok was the dual zips, quite like that idea.

In the end they're both really great bags and I'm still not sure if I've got the right one but I think the slightly more comfortable look, stretch knees and lighter weight won out over durability and the double zips.

As for packing they're both big bags but the buy in the shop did point out something which I've never thought of before... why use a stuff sac? Ok I know some reasons to that, they can keep the bag dry (ortleib or similar) and clean but they don't actually help the bag get much smaller and when you back into the rucksac they're actually more of a hinderance due to the shape. I've just tried packing the ME into my Macpac without a stuff sac and the space created was amazing due to the bag taking up all the crooks and grannies.

Rightie long winded post but hopefully it'll help someone, I'll right a review once I've had chance to try it out.

Matt

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Tomtom: I've found that down tends to be lighter :?: SF stands for Special Forces (it is made for them primarily, hence the boot protection etc.).
www.shocktroop.com do them for £130 with vAT... or your local outdoor shop can usually get them in at the same price. There's a Manchester number I can give you to get UK stockists if you like - I imagine they have some sort of UK base in Manchester.

and Carlo: you get me all you like, we Hobos are used to being beaten up :roll: :rolmao: Really, you'll love that bag. That's an order! :tw: :lol:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
raymears.com has pack size for their woodlore bags but I don't know if they equate exactly to the other nanok models. Nanok are bigger than most bags IIRC.

Bill

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
With sleeping bags you usually get what you pay for and we know Rab and ME make very good bags with very small pack sizes a couple of others I have noticed are:
Cumulus Prime 400 (870gms -7 comfort) http://www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/Product_Catalogue_Products_44.html

Also a very good Finnish brand Joutsen 900 QTM (850gms -8 comfort)
http://cat.teho.net/software/joutsen2_en/e-cat/?id=00000044&group=00000011

They are not cheap but cheaper than RAB Quantum 600 which is heavier but goes to -12

I will probably pick up the Joutsen while I am trekking in Finland in the spring as they have a factory outlet shop I plan to visit to get a bargain.

You have to pay a financial premium if you want really small pack sizes.

I have several large bags which are very warm synthetic bags but they are approaching the 3kg mark and with one of them in even a 120 ltr burgen it seriously makes a dent in your carrying capacity.
Not only that do you need a bag which goes to -25 or -50?
Not very often in the UK and if you are cold put on your jacket or your bivy trousers inside your bag its always good to have some extra room in your bag to do this.
Extra unneccesary weight can be a real bind when you got to carry it for miles. Unless you're in a landy of course.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
I like the ajungilaks. Mostly I take the Kompakt, the Tyin when it´s cold but my favourite is a Tyin Elite. It was cheap, christmas sale and nobody wanted it - too warm!about 2,4 kg, 17 l, rated -35;
Heavy and bulky, but lovely: no zip, original Pertex inner and outer, completely green and the old ajungilak logo.
Probably old, does anybody know, when they made them?

But Ajungilak-age is over now. Mammut wants money. Friends of mine tested the new ones, the inner material is no more resistant to scratches and somehow the quality shall be not convincing. So, Nanok now?

A good cheap choice is a synthetic 2 seasons bag, and a fleece liner (bulky) or even better US-Army Poncho Liner, or buy some meters of Polartec Thermal Pro, Make a zip around it and put it outside(!) of your sleeping bag when cold. Wear it as thermal Layer under your smock during activity

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
When going ultralight in summer I take a us lightweight poncho and liner, cut a slit for my head in the liner so I can wear it as a coat or use it as a makeshift bag with the poncho as a bivy. Not too warm when it gets below 12 c but If I have to I make sure I keep the fire alight all night . With a good fire hell you dont need a sleeping bag even in winter, not as comfortable but you survive.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just took delivery of my Nanok endurance SF -10. Had it out and been scrutinising it and up to now I like what I see. Course the proof of the pudding is in getting out when it's bitter cold and seeing what she's capable of.

The pack size BTW is 34cms long x 20cms diameter.

Can't wait to try it out :biggthump

Big thanks to Arctic Hobo for pointing me in this direction :You_Rock_

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Trek Direct seem to have good prices - I imagine it's thanks to import (Norway is not part of the EU) but most prices are pretty much the same from various dealers. Trek Direct seem to be used a fair bit by people here, and you'll get a -10 for £100 and -25 for £130 which seems standard :biggthump

Maddave: knew you'd love it :eek:):

Ogden, the Tyin is my old bag, and very nice it was too. You are right, it has not been the same since Mammut took the helm. Ajungilak and Nanok were linked somehow, something like Nanok is a spin off I think. Maybe Nanok are the quality guys getting fed up with nasty ajungilak bags :rolmao:

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
With regards the Nanok bags, can anybody give me some technical details?

What is the insulation they are using?

What fabric is used for the inner and outer shell?

Any idea of the actual construction of the bag?

I did have a look around their website, but the detail there seemed a bit vague..

Regards,

Pete

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Tomtom,

I have sent them a couple of emails, but I have not had a reply as yet.

I did look at that info, but it doesn't really say much IMHO. The industry standard for shells these days seems to be some sort of Pertex while there are a number of different fillings used.After reading Nanoks webpage I am still not sure what they use and why...

I have originally looked at ordering a Wiggy from the States, and by contrast there is a huge amount of info about how their sleeping bags are made and why they are so much better than everybody elses.

For instance he really slates snugpack ,I mean really trashes them... Now he might very well make a good product, but I don't like him trashing others to make a point; basically he does not come across as the sort of guy I would like to do business with, hence I started looking else where and at the Nanoks.

Regards,

Pete

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Pete E said:
Tomtom,

I have sent them a couple of emails, but I have not had a reply as yet.

I did look at that info, but it doesn't really say much IMHO. The industry standard for shells these days seems to be some sort of Pertex while there are a number of different fillings used.After reading Nanoks webpage I am still not sure what they use and why...

I have originally looked at ordering a Wiggy from the States, and by contrast there is a huge amount of info about how their sleeping bags are made and why they are so much better than everybody elses.

For instance he really slates snugpack ,I mean really trashes them... Now he might very well make a good product, but I don't like him trashing others to make a point; basically he does not come across as the sort of guy I would like to do business with, hence I started looking else where and at the Nanoks.

Regards,

Pete

I'll have a look at mine Pete. I think the outer may be pertex.

Interesting point about Wiggy's I always think if a manufacturer makes a good product, their quality will speak for themselves. For example, there's nothing on the Gransfors Bruks website saying "Buy our axes cuz the other blokes are bobbins". :biggthump

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
maddave said:
"Buy our axes cuz the other blokes are bobbins". :biggthump
:rolmao: :You_Rock_

The construction uses no glue, and has fibres set at right angles to each other. This means it can be machine washed at 60 degrees as there is no glue to melt, and there are no cold spots. There is a double baffle to stop the zips letting in the cold.
Pete: get the Nanok :eek:):

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Just got my -25 down in the post today...
It's a lot fatter than i thought!

Rode down to collection point to get it... took my Sabre 45 down to stuff it in and ride home with it.. the package nearly fulled up the whole collection box.

Took it out the box and tried to stuff it into my Sabre 45... wasn't going in too easy!
I don't think it was fully compressed (although the straps looked quite taught) and i didn't have a chance to try compressing it further.
My sister drove past and saw me, Imanaged to get the whole thing in and then just chucked the whole lot in her car and will pick it up tomorrow...
There wasn't much room left over to get anything else in there though! :(

Getting a bit worried now, might have bought the wrong one for that pack...
Sure it will be ok though, perhaps if i thy the "no compression sack" way i might have a bit more room.

we'll see..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE