Sleeping bag recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
... Now that might come back and bite you in the proverbial....
:)

I somehow doubt it! Try phoning up Ray Mears (or his shop, or Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Big Agnes, Alpkit, Snugpak, Valandre et al for that matter), and asking him if he'd guarantee any of the bags he sells for, say, the next 25 years against loss of loft or material failure tozips, stitching etc , regardless of use, long-term compression or frequent home washing (and then honour it as Wiggy does), and I bet I know what he'd / they'd say:) Go on, I dare you!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
To be honest, they don't pack down small, and when you do haul on the straps of the supplied compression sacks for all you're worth, they tend to end up almost cylindrical! My lightest bag - the overbag, compresses down to about the size of a basket-ball, the other ones significantly bigger. I suppose it would be possible to compress them in a cylindrical manner to fit underneath or on top of a rucksack, but I've not tried it myself.

Oops! I meant spherical!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Yup, sure ... I'll ring uncle Ray and ask him...
😒
Seriously dude , you made your point about the wiggys , I'm sure they're the mutts nuts, just let it go...
The OP is probably more confused than when he started this thread. 😵

The tip for tap , handbags and all of the what bag is best is futile and unnecessary.

But beware of your dare, as some high end products do carry the lifetime guarantee.

... And if Cragghoppers decide to manufacture sleeping bags they'll probably honour their lifetime warranty , as they already do with most of their gear.

Anyways , I'll let you know when I find one... And then you'l owe me a wiggys...
;).
😁

Peas & Loaf

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
To be honest, they don't pack down small, and when you do haul on the straps of the supplied compression sacks for all you're worth, they tend to end up almost cylindrical! My lightest bag - the overbag, compresses down to about the size of a basket-ball, the other ones significantly bigger. I suppose it would be possible to compress them in a cylindrical manner to fit underneath or on top of a rucksack, but I've not tried it myself.

You can tell me till you're blue in the face that theoretically I cannot compress my Wiggy bags for long periods of time and still retain loft. The simple fact is that I can and do!

This is basically what i meant with: " I just haven't seen anything sofar which would say that Wiggy's claim is right. (Other than his bags just don't compress worth anything, and that's why the loft isn't damaged, because they just don't compress). "

The "compressed" size of your bag, is bigger than just stuffing my sleeping bag of similar rating into it's stuffsack. When compressed it goes even lower. You just can't compress the wiggy bag, which means it won't lose much loft. This is comparable to what i used long ago, cheap sleeping bag, but warm, and not too expensive, but wouldn't compress worth anything, and that old bag was used for over 10 years and "compressed" in storage too (got nibbled on by mice a bit too much though, so had to buy a new bag, was full of holes, they thought it was nice and warm too ;) ). Under those circumstances, i can surely accept the claim, but stick with my point that there is better (which i'll definitely admit is subjective) out there for me and that his bags are heavy and bulky compared to most other bags out there. I prefer to have something much lighter and packable, and i know i can rely on it too (because i've used it). And as long as i take care of my gear, i know it'll take care of me. I mean, i checked some of the other bag's measurements, and i couldn't get them in some of my smaller packs which i use for hiking, or if they fit, i wouldn't have space for anything else.

So they are good, but not for backpacking or hiking. And the OP was saying he wanted something which packs smaller than the military bags.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
This is basically what i meant with: " I just haven't seen anything sofar which would say that Wiggy's claim is right. (Other than his bags just don't compress worth anything, and that's why the loft isn't damaged, because they just don't compress). "

The "compressed" size of your bag, is bigger than just stuffing my sleeping bag of similar rating into it's stuffsack. When compressed it goes even lower. You just can't compress the wiggy bag, which means it won't lose much loft. This is comparable to what i used long ago, cheap sleeping bag, but warm, and not too expensive, but wouldn't compress worth anything, and that old bag was used for over 10 years and "compressed" in storage too (got nibbled on by mice a bit too much though, so had to buy a new bag, was full of holes, they thought it was nice and warm too ;) ). Under those circumstances, i can surely accept the claim, but stick with my point that there is better (which i'll definitely admit is subjective) out there for me and that his bags are heavy and bulky compared to most other bags out there. I prefer to have something much lighter and packable, and i know i can rely on it too (because i've used it). And as long as i take care of my gear, i know it'll take care of me. I mean, i checked some of the other bag's measurements, and i couldn't get them in some of my smaller packs which i use for hiking, or if they fit, i wouldn't have space for anything else.

So they are good, but not for backpacking or hiking. And the OP was saying he wanted something which packs smaller than the military bags.

So you haven't used Wiggy's bags then, or spoken to anyone who has, yet still categorically state that there's better value for money bags out there... I'm betting that you have never tried Guinness because you don't like it:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Yup, sure ... I'll ring uncle Ray and ask him...

Seriously dude , you made your point about the wiggys , I'm sure they're the mutts nuts, just let it go...
The OP is probably more confused than when he started this thread. 

The tip for tap , handbags and all of the what bag is best is futile and unnecessary.

But beware of your dare, as some high end products do carry the lifetime guarantee.

... And if Cragghoppers decide to manufacture sleeping bags they'll probably honour their lifetime warranty , as they already do with most of their gear.

Anyways , I'll let you know when I find one... And then you'l owe me a wiggys...
;).


Peas & Loaf

You can ring his shop, surely! Go on, I double dare you:)

As to the rest, I'm only trying to correct blatantly false statements by those who have never tried Wiggy bags, or spoken to anyone who has.

As to the future, I'm sure that in time someone will come up with a bag design containing spun spider webs, or carbon/titanium single-molecule filaments, or something else which will totally outperform Wiggy bags at a similar price point. But until then, I'll go with my practical experience, and my offer still stands against current, non-Science Fiction bags!

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
On forums i've spoken to many who used them (both good and bad experiences), i haven't used them myself. I also read many stories about the horror of getting the lifetime warranty actually served ;).

I love Guinness (and cider), and don't make my mind without doing my research and if possible trying it. But given that those bags aren't cheap since you have to import them, are much too bulky for me, and are too heavy for me, i look at products which fit the bulk/weight of my needs better. I haven't been cold in my bags yet, unless you count the time i took my lightweight bag to 0-1 degree C, while it's limit rated at 8C (which was easily solved by putting on a pair of socks and a light fleece sweater).

Like i said, given that they don't compress worth anything (which comes from your statement about the size when compressed, so should be considered pretty reliable :p), they can probably be "compressed" longer. His construction methods are basically what's common use in synthetic bags nowadays (but was probably cutting edge back when he started). Both my Carinthia bags and the cheap lightweight bag i have, use the same system (i'm 100% sure about the lightweight one btw, i've cut it open since there was a piece of packing tape still attached to the insulating sheet, and it drove me crazy. I didn't expect much from a 30 euro bag, but it's one of my favorites now).

Now, i did state the following:

but stick with my point that there is better (which i'll definitely admit is subjective) out there for me and that his bags are heavy and bulky compared to most other bags out there. I prefer to have something much lighter and packable, and i know i can rely on it too (because i've used it).

This means that -for me-, subjectively, there is indeed much better out there quality/money wise. I can accept that you find the bags heavenly and the gift from god himself (just to overstate it a bit, no insult intended ;) ), but please also accept that for me, if i have the choice between a basketball sized compressed bag, and a nalgene bottle sized compressed bag, i'll find better value in the smaller less bulky one aslong as it keeps me warm in the same temperature range, which it does. I didn't categorically state it, i said my opinion just like you say yours so please don't put words in my mouth, even as you quote the text saying that it's subjective and for me ;).

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
As a relatively new hammock user I've come to the conclusion that for a hammock a traditional 'sleeping bag' is not whats wanted.
For summer camping I've found that a couple of thin blankets are great. I currently use a pair of snugpak jungle bags because I got them cheap and wanted a double sleeping bag on occasion (you can zip them together). I use them completely unzipped as a pair of very light blankets, slept on one and had the other over the top of me.
I've only yet played in summer with no underquilt or mat, and on a recent week camping I got a 'cold bum' on one night that woke me up but all I had underneath me was a very thin blanket. I think if I'd put my thermarest mat or a foil mat underneath me it would have been fine. More experimentation needed.

A sleeping bag in a hammock, I've found them a pain in the backside to get in and out of and to get comfortable in whilst in the hammock. Plus because hammocks tend to compress underneath you more, they provide even less benefit than when sleeping on a good mat. In my mind a good over quilt or blanket would work better and be lighter/smaller as you just need to cover yourself (rather than cocoon yourself).

As for underquilts when I looked I didn't find anything that really fitted my large hammock and that I was confident would definitely work for the price. Therefore I'm considering making one by windproofing an old blanket or sleeping bag and adding some elastic. I might even start off just by strapping a foil emergency blanket underneath my hammock as I think it's the wind chill and heat radiation that has to be dealt with (emergency blankets are windproof and foil reflects heat back). For three season at least you could always fill the space between the hammock and emergency blanket with leaf litter for extra warmth.

My thoughts for a 4 season hammock sleep system would be modular, over quilts/blankets (whatevers needed to keep you warm), a mat either thermarest or foil lined in the base of the hammock and some kind of windproof underquilt/spaceblanket.

Summertime I don't think the underquilt mats would be required but I'd pack them anyway as they always come in handy around camp. Winter I'll be testing how thick the underquilt and over quilts will be needed for me, but rather than go for a definite winter sleep system I'll just add layers to my summer system. I'd humbly suggest that it's better to add layers in the cold than sweat when it's warm....

I have an allergy to feathers so I've never even considered using down and won't get into the down v synthetic debate. I'm also huge, sleep warm and don't like getting confined while I sleep, so take what I say with a pinch of salt. But for my money I think you'd be better off with a good quality pair of quilts than a sleeping bag. An underquilt and an over quilt.

Anyhow best of luck!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
IC Rafe, Unfortunately, its impossible to provide even a subjective assessment or comparison between Wiggys and another bag when you have no practical experience or use of both. So you're purely guessing about the wiggy bag. Which is fair enough if you just come out and say that you've never used, or even seen one, and I'm glad you now have. Clearly, the Alaska National Guard, who use the Wiggy Ultima Thule as part of their survival gear, know nothing - guess they should have listened to your guesswork instead of doing all that testing including vacuum pressing under 20 tons of pressure to see if it regained it's loft afterwards. After all, Alaska is known for it's temperate climate, short winters, mild winds and sunny beaches. I'm sure the US Airforce, who use vacuum-packed Ultima Thule bags as the official Survival bag carried on its aircraft and ships, should have listened to you too....

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I've always wondered but I think I now understand what 'cognitive dissonance' is - from wikipedia...
"In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time."

Thanks to the wiggy bag debate I find myself resolutely believing that wiggy bags are the best bags ever and that they may also be over rated and perhaps other sleeping bags are equally good if not possibly better....

To the OP wiggys bags may or may not be the absolute best sleeping bag ever.....

Personally I honestly couldn't care who is right even if there were a right answer. But the pro wiggy camp is coming across the worse for these exchanges IMHO. Though both sides could do with just agreeing to disagree so we can go back to the original thread...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Fair enough. I should know by now that trying to correct someone who has no physical experience of a product, but has entrenched views anyway, is a waste of time:) Regardless, I apologise for going off topic and resorting to sarcasm.

To the OP - Looking at the cheaper end of the scale, I like the Army Jungle bag for summer use, and the Army Arctic bag (although bulky) will keep you warm in anything the UK is likely to throw at you. A word of caution though - many army bags have a rough life, so check it out thoroughly. And avoid the earlier down-filled Arctic bag - very few have survived in usable condition (again I speak from experience here, although I'm happy to sell you one I put away in disgust!) You may also be lucky enough to find the modular Buffalo fibre-pile bags second-hand, and they can be very useful. The inner is good for warm weather, and with the outer zipped in, work at lower temps as well. And they have the lovely zips, meaning that you can stay in your bag, but slip your arms out to make a cuppa or stoke the stove. The fibre pile does thin out as time goes by, but there's normally some useful life left even in the older ones.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
ps - I meant zips for the arms to come out of the bag, whilst still keeping the rest of the bag fully fastened...

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
A wool blanket, often paired with the Snugpak jungle bag. My favoured system so far.
I have 5 various sleeping bags, and many more wool blankets. Would love a down bag, but yet to find a rectangle shape, or one appropriate.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Original post: Previously used military bags but would prefer something that packs down a little smaller.

He wants smaller than the army bags ;).

And no worries, i'm leaving Andy behind me now, because it's clear that he's a fanboy who can see nothing wrong with the bags, even when i say i agree with him on some parts, but that they aren't good for me personally because of bulk weight. Andy obviously knows what i want and need better than me ;). I'll leave it at that and won't reply to him anymore after this post.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Just in response to the OP, I'd suggest you look at getting a down bag, that'll defo pack down smaller than the military bags and you should get one for that kind of money. I recommend the alpkit bags. I've been using their mountain ghost synthetic 2/3 season bag for year round use. It packs down nice and small and it's comfort limit is -1. I would say that comfort limit is about right (for me anyway, although I'm not necessarily a warm sleeper!) If it's going to be colder then I sometimes wear a cheap down jacket and that makes it much warmer.

Sleeping bags aren't entirely ideal for hammocking as they can be a bit of a faff to get into. With your budget you may want to look into getting a top blanket instead (ukhammocks.co.uk make some nice down blankets within your price range - I'm not connected to them by the way!)In the warmer months I just use my sleeping bag as a top blanket and wrap it round me. If not already, I'd seriously recommend that you invest in an underblanket. They're soooo much better than the pads. Don't get me wrong the pads work well, but they move about and you can find yourself waking up in the night with cold parts! The underblanket just wraps around you and you can wriggle around in your hammock safe in the knowledge that you're not going to get a chill from underneath. I used a mat for a while and was adamant that I'll make do with it but eventually I succumbed and bought an underblanket and wished that I got one much sooner! The DD underblanket is (in my opinion!) sufficient for year round hammocking in the UK and packs down very small indeed, certainly no bigger than a compact self inflating mat.

Last edited:

Chris71127

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2015
Ipswich
Thanks for all the replies..

Didn't expect so many or for the topic to become so wide. Interesting all he same. In the end my local camping shop had a massive sale on mountain hardwear kit. I picked up a lamina 20 which has a comfort of -2 and packs down really well for a synthetic bag.
Build quality is good and it was half price at £65!!! Looking forward to trying it out now as the reviews are good.

Hopefully it will do what I need

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
To the OP

Synthetic for me all the way. Got asthma and the down triggers it.

I've just started hammocking, so far I've used the Snugpak Jungle bag in conjunction with a US poncho liner (a thin/lightweight synthetic blanket for all intents) and an inflatable sleep mat. I found my feet got cold as I rolled on my side and went diagonal thus feet ending up off the mat. Granted its tricky to get into a side zipper in a hammock, but not impossible, and I'm guessing the more I use this system the easier it will become. The Snugpak jungle is £30 new with P&P on ebay.

I've also bought the new British issue MCSS medium weight sleeping bag (OK it's not 'new' but my first issue bag was 58 pattern down). This is a centre zipping mummy bag and is rated down to -15C on its own. I also have the liner to go with it. This will be my winter bag. Yes its big and heavy - compressing down to the size of a basket ball, and slightly smaller than the last issue synthetic bag (from the 90's), but I'm used to packing heavy due to my 14 years soldiering at weekends, and these days I tend not to to have to travel that far by foot. Including the liner you can get them new from about £40.

The advantage of a military bag is it's been designed to be robust from the outset with oversized zips, a repair Zlide-on zipper for those times when your zipper comes off in your hand (been there and froze all night as a result when I was younger) and a built in machine washable liner system to reduce the need to wash the main bag, thus extending the life of the bag. And it's cheap to acquire. The MCSS also includes a lightweight/summer bag which is a little heavier weight than the Snugpak jungle bag (its tiny), and is a little larger in its stuff sack too. I'll probably get one of those when funds allow to complete my sons sleep system.

I now have the Snugpak under blanket as well. I don't expect I'll be out in any weather where I'm likely to need anything extra to what I have now, and I can layer up if the new Ice Age decides to arrive early.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE