Sleeping Bag Reccomendations

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey all,
I currently have a karrimor explorer 500 (a 1-2 season bag that compacts very small) and a snugpak softie 12 (a 4 season bag that takes up half my rucksack :rolleyes: ). Im looking for something in between for a 5 day day trail im doing in october. The bag needs to be warm (comfort of about 4-0oC), light and as small as possible compressed size. It will be used with a tarp and hammock, any thoughts guys and gals?
Links to uk sites would be good too,
Cheers,
Kit

P.s. Did i mention cheap!!! :D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
What else are you using in the hammock? Kip mat, underblanket, something else?

It depends how you sleep. Is the 4-0°C the expected outside temperature or the sleeping bag temp rating you would like?

I know I've asked more questions than I've answered, but they're points worth considering. In a hammock, when it's cold it's very, very cold!

As usual in threads like this, I recommend a look at Alpkit.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
i was planning to use a closed cell matt that ive cut down to fit my hammock (DD 2006 version), and I was looking at 4-0oc comfort rating on the bag not air temp as I can add clothing layers if it gets really cold. Ill check out alpkit,

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, if you want it light and small, you want a down bag. Can't comment on Alpkit, but I love my Rab. :)

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Have you thought about using your existing bag with a liner? Fleece is available and silk if you want that axtra special feeling!

I always use a silk liner with my bag - it means I don't have to wash the bag as often and is an excellent insulator. It also packs up tiny and weighs next to nothing.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Well, if you want it light and small, you want a down bag. Can't comment on Alpkit, but I love my Rab. :)

That's true. Down is the best sleeping bag insulator you can have. It compresses easily, conforms to the shape of your sleeping body and has a very high warmth-to-weight-ratio. Unless you get it wet, then its next to useless.

Synthetic bags on the other hand, maintain nearly all of their warmth even when sopping wet. On the negative side, synthetic bags don't maintain their loft nearly as well as down, nor do they compress as easily.

If you're willing to spend the money Copper Head I would recommend looking into a gore-tex down bag. They run in the plus $400 dollar range, but they are hands down the best sleeping bag money can buy. But if you can't see yourself plunking down nearly half a grand for a bag then I would also recommend a combination down/synthetic one. They're cheaper and have nearly the best of both worlds in terms of quality.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Adam

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
thanks all, yep I think a liner would be the way to go, save the old £££'s, I'll get googling :D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Am I right in thinking the closed cell matt fits into the DD hammock between two layers? If that's the case, the closed cell mat should work very well - not moving as much as it would if loose in the hammock. I find if you can stop the wind whistling through your hammock base material, then you're more than halfway there to staying warm. A bivvy bag works reasonably well for that.

Also a fleece blanket costs about £5-10 at the supermarket, that could go in the hammock pocket too. If you do get cold, you can always "go to ground", if you've a tarp and mat. You might not be quite as comfy, but you should be warmer.

I remember reading somewhere a while ago about someone who made a pocketed hammock and from what I recall had some success stuffing the pocket with crumpled up balls of newspaper. If what I remember is true and I haven't just made it up, I suppose you could have some success with natural insulators - bracken, leaves and such. Cheapest option so far....

Edit to add - found an interesting link: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIoriginal.htm

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I bought a self inflating mattress, cost me about £20 and can testify it makes a hell of a difference in the hammock! So regardless of which bag - get a mat!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
heh all yep the closed cell mat fits in the under part of the hammock (I got the one with the mozzie net). I got a therm-a-rest trail lite for when i bivvy camping but wanted to use a closed cell mat as its somewhat lighter. Thanks all for the advice, btw I ordered the snugpak silk mummy liner shud do the job nicely :)!

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I'm looking into tarps and hammocks at the moment as well, but for sleeping bags I can't recommend a North Face Cats Meow highly enough. ISTR that it's a 4-5 season bag - I've had mine for a few years so I dare say that they have upgraded them since I bought mine.

It's actually better than my (admittedly ancient) Eider duck down bag.

The North Face pussy's purr is a good bag, but it is only supposed to be a 2-3 season. Last years model was very small both in length and width, but I believe they have made it wider this year. My top tip for choosing a sleeping bag is to try it out for size! Don't forget - people are different sizes and will fit (or not fit!) into bags differently. I bought a Mountain Equipment bag with their stretchy knee section and have been very happy with it.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I can tell what NOT to buy. The worst sleeping bag I've ever used was from haglöfs. Extremely overrated temp. specs, the zip flap got caught in the zipper every time, the collar was an annoyance to adjust, it was really small in width etc. etc. Don't even consider it.

They're available from tamarack outdoors amongst others (Yes, I'm very affiliated with tamarack, that's why I warn people about their products)

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i can highly recomend the snugpack bags ,if your a little bit bigger than the average man or dont like being cramped they sell a zip in piece that gives tonnes of room!!! only problem then is you wake up with a 3 yearolds cold feet on yer back!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE