Sleeping bag opinion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I'm curious how small this packs in a stuffsack. Interesting design but I think that the lack of a zipper will make the fabric slip away of off your body constantly. But I'm glad that there are still firms out there trying to improve things. Thanks for sharing, totally new to me.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Strikes me as though they're putting corners on a wheel to make it more interesting. Keep it simple stupid :)

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
That takes the cake. Mummy bags can certainly be uncomfortable but I'd have thought a bigger bag was the solution not a total redesign. Talk about chasing the error.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like it. May not work in the Yukon, but I don't camp in the Yukon. I want something that works here :)

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Based on the video, it's got my vote!

I'm dreading having to head to buy a sleeping bag which actually fits me and I can get into. The way things are going, I will be needing a ruck for my bushcraft and a huge pull along trolley for my sleeping kit, just so that I don't have to sleep in nothing more than a tarp and my clothes :confused:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I think it's a good idea. I nearly bought one of Sierra Designs' arctic bags with the hood THAT IS ACTUALLY HEAD SHAPED. Was just out of my price range at the time.

They seem to be the only company with a common sense approach to the way they design their sleeping bags.

I could never get my arms comfy in mummy style bags. Ive got one of the Wood Lore ones now which I find is the best compromise between weight, price and design, nice and roomy.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
On first looks I don’t like it, i’m not convinced on the claims. Regarding the main claim and selling point of the bag which is ''moving around in it comfortably like in your bed at home'' well I just can’t see this, you still can’t spread your legs apart like you can in your bed, in a mummy bag the main constriction is not being able to spread your legs apart but you still can’t in this bag either (as clearly proved in the video), you need a rectangular bag for that. And personally despite the vids attempts to convince me that I have had uncomfortable nights in a mummy bag, actually I don’t find ordinary mummy bags uncomfortable at all, and it’s easy enough to leave a zip open on a mummy bag to regulate heat.

Other reasons for not liking:-

• Weight -- 1130g or 1390g (depending on model) is quite heavy for a down bag (it has down fill) with a comfort rating of only -1 centigrade.
  • Pack size -- suspect high volume (I may be wrong), stats say stuff sack is 38cm x 20cm (though it doesn’t say if that’s compressed or not), that’s big for a down filled bag.
  • For wrigglers in their sleep like me I suspect the inner quilt could easily be pushed away from your body as you toss around, if it did you would wake up prematurely feeling chilled resulting in a poor nights 'disturbed' sleep.
  • You can’t cinch the hood down so I suspect you would get drafts and heat loss as you move (and it’s designed for movement).
  • Suspect large internal volume (to allow for it’s claim of comfort) which may cause cold spots.
  • I don’t like the hand pockets to tuck and keep bag in place, when you move in your sleep they could pop out and bag could move away from your body, a zip is better as you don’t have to concentrate on keeping your hands in one place to keep bag in place, if you have to ''think'' about keeping something in place then you won’t sleep well, when I retire to my bed I sleep best if I don’t have to ''think'' about anything at all.
  • I’m also a little confused by the warmth ratings and cost between the two models available, they are both 3 season bags, the 600 model costs £191 ($299.95) and has a comfort rating of -2, however the 800 model costs £255 ($399.95) and has a comfort rating of -1, i’m guessing the cost and weight differential is probably due to the quality of down in each model as the warmth rating is similar in both.
Judgement is best made with hands on experience of course so it may perform better than it looks, my opinion is just based on viewing the link. I’m guessing it would be suitable for car camping/fixed camp etc but for hiking I think there are better alternatives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE