Sleeping Bag Modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I have bought a bivi bag and sleeping bag, I spent a night out under the stars, but I found my sleeping bag a little tight around the shoulders. Being an ex swimmer I have not got the smallest of shoulders. The sleeping bag was great didn’t feel any cold, I was just wondering is there anyway to widen the bag around the zip area without compromising the warmth factor.

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
I'm pretty sure that snugpak do a sleeping bag insert that you zip into your existing bag, I've seen this on militray sleeping bags for the wider gentleman. Looks a bit like a giant green sanitary towel with zips for wings, I'll see if I can find a link and post it for you. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A couple companies make sleeping bag expanders. I bought one for my mountain hardware bag and it worked beautifully. If one is not made for your bag, you might be able to find someone to make one for you.

271972.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Xairbourne,
Do a web search for "Ray Jardine", he is an advocate of using a quilt rather than a sleeping bag - on account of the insulation beneath you gets crushed and might as well be another form of material!

HTH

Ogri the trog

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I think what Ogri was suggesting was using the sleeping bag like a quilt. Give it a try. It's cheaper than buying a new bit for it.
I just coverted my sleeping bag into a quilt that now weighs 600 grams. But be warned... down goes everywhere...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE